[P2P-F] Distributed Network Concept

Raffael Kemenczy raffael at kemenczy.at
Wed Jan 19 18:13:23 CET 2011

Dear Michel, Everyone,

Thank you for your quick reply.

I was unaware that there is a real 'non-technical' community concerned with
these issues, which is -not- primarily trying to fight the lobbyists in
Brussels, Washington or elsewhere.

Dmytri Kleiner, whom I met in Berlin, wrote the Telekommunist
Manifesto<http://networkcultures.org/wpmu/weblog/2010/10/21/the-telekommunist-from-dmytri-kleiner-is-out-now/>which
explores the fundamental difference between centralised and
distributed architecture in relation to economy and inter-human relations.
I read Doug's article and agree - and I am glad to see that the opposition
between capital and a truly distributed architecture is stressed. The really
explosive bit in my opinion is that the same concept can also be applied on
the economic, social and 'political' level. In a truly distributed system,
you need no 'master' but you can establish real co-operation and
sustainability (in its actual sense [not Corporate Social Responsability
etc.]), which is a real alternative/threat to the dominant paradigm.

In regard to the next steps...

1.)  Wiki Integration

I want to make sure that all the information contained in the concept is
properly integrated into the wiki, so that it has its own page and/or
(probably more importantly) is integrated into and linked from other
articles dealing with specific issues. It is important to me that the
information is actually made useful.

Therefore, I ask for someone to provide me guidance/help on how to best
achieve this and wikify this information.

2.) Starfish purpose

Clearly, 'Starfish' is just my modest compilation/contribution to the
overall goal, but it(s contents) might also serve as an overarching mission
statement and provide a framework, if accepted by the community. As I have
said, I have no expert technical capacities, but I sensed a lack of regard
for the 'big picture' and social importance/implications in the general
hacker community I am aware of. Furthermore, it is (another) call for more
awareness/collaboration and a common purpose in related projects.

I decided to compile 'Starfish' last May, as I first had the idea two years
beforehand but nothing of real impact had happened in the meantime. I should
also mention that the information technology aspect is only part of my
interests and actually another 'bit' of the big picture I have. My main
interest lies with the people at large and thus the analysis of the
underlying structure of society and the development/implementation of
concepts which can bring true sustainability and quality of life for all
humans in accordance with the ecosystem.

3.) Publication

Once the concept is integrated into the wiki and can be
adapted/expanded/linked by the community, I guess more awareness of the fact
that some people (me among others) are really concerned with the big picture
and socio-economic repercussions would be appropriate. I would also stress
the inherent nature of and opposition to the current structure of society.

4.) Newsletter/Further Contribution

I would certainly be happy to write something for your blog/newsletter. As I
mentioned, I am especially interested in the holistic/integrated view of the
big picture. I would also be willing to write about the various aspects and
possibilities of distributed networks as I see it. Do any of you maybe have
a proposal on how to structure such a series or how long/extensive each
article should be?

Please tell me what you think...

I am looking forward to collaborating with you :-)

Kind regards,

Raffael