[P2P-F] Fwd: [Cookreport-pdf] Publication schedule between now and june - two multi month issues in preparation

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 05:56:13 CET 2011

*From: *Gordon Cook <cook at cookreport.com>
*Date: *January 14, 2011 10:14:55 PM EST
*To: *cookreport-pdf at cookreport.com
*Subject: **[Cookreport-pdf] Publication schedule between now and june - two
multi month issues in preparation*

*Dear subscribers, *

I am two weeks late  with the promised February 2011 issue and I've decided
it's time to give a progress report. Probably most of you know by now
writing a book. It  will be published first in the Cook Report and hopefully
other places in modified form. I enclose the current abstract below as well
as the current chapter outline and table of contents by chapter.    it is
evolving as I continue my work and the last week has witnessed an especially
good turn as I have become much more familiar with Internet 2's very
fortunate twist of fate. As I get to know more and more about the United
States Unified Community Anchor Network I have real  hope for the transition
of my country through these difficult times.

 I am doing a lot of reading in an effort to unify the meaning of the public
Internet to research and education network world in the context of the
collapse of the 20th century corporate state and the rise of more viable
local economies described by the many people participating in the work of
the open peer-to-peer foundation. the two principal readings at the moment
include Michael Brown, *Civilizing the Economy, a New Economics of
Provision, *Cambridge University Press and Kevin Carson's* the Home Brew
Industrial Revolution a Low Overhead Manifesto*. I knew intuitively a year
ago that what Surfnet was and continues to be has huge relevance for the
United States.   I am now very happy that, especially with the emergence of
USUCAN, I now have a very clear picture. And thanks to the Surf Foundation's
making it possible for me to do almost 3 weeks of research in Europe in
October I have the material in the interviews as well as contacts to explain
this all in detail.

The book will likely not be anything more than 10 chapters.   I have the
first five chapters completed in draft form. I am hopeful that I can publish
the first five chapters as the February March and maybe April COOK Report
between about February 10 and 20th. This material will be at least 100 pages
and probably more like 150 pages in normal COOK Report format and style and
the remaining half will be of similar length. I ought to be able to have the
remainder done by May. One thing that I am thinking about is how what I am
writing might be repackaged and presented in the United States as an
introduction to USUCAN in the US.  I would like to be able to help people
here understand the breadth and depth of this immense opportunity that is
being laid before them at this time.

I am  open to any and all suggestions and certainly would appreciate
feedback.  Please either write to me privately cook at Cookreport.com or on the
Arch-econ list if you think it's appropriate. I think this material is world
changing and that it's coming to fruition is absolutely critical time. I
hope I'm right and I hope that we can all push it along to broader
understanding and fulfillment.

*
*

*Global Economic Disruption and Research Collaborations  (working title
only)*

 Abstract

 This book will offer an introduction to an emerging technology of
communication, collaboration, and scientific research that is almost unknown
outside a narrow circle – SURFNet and the thye several dozen members of
 Global Lambda  Integrated Facility (GLIF) where it originated and has
grown. It is the authors’ contention that it must become far more widely
known and used.  It’s most advanced form (part of which was chronicled here
a year ago in a separate book) was developed in the Netherlands.  However it
has grown into a world-wide movement that flying far below the general
visibility of the public as a whole and is waiting to be more broadly
discovered. The time for the discovery is at hand  because with the Obama
Administration’s award of a 62.5 million dollar stimulus grant to build a
United States Unified Community Anchor Network. http://www.usucan.org/ its
importance has just been magnified.  For the first time the United States
has the opportunity to do for itself what the Netherlands and many other
optical research and education networks have been doing.  The opportunity is
immense and I will demonstrate in the text that follows why.

We shall argue in these reports that the university based global research
and education network community is not merely building a new infrastructure
to support collaboratively based global science but is building the tools
and techniques needed to replace the broken proprietary silo based
capitalism of the last century.  Each side must become aware of and support
the other’s progress as rapidly as possible.

We also point out that the full explanation of capabilities to be described
here in is largely unknown outside the university community and likely not
understood in its totality even there.

*Outline*
*
*
*Chapter one introduction sets the stage, describes what is happening and
shows how it reaches beyond university and research networking as well as
whu it is need by the rest of society.*

*Chapter two* will examine R&E networks and their projects in Asia and in
much more detail in the United States.  The remaining chapters will describe
this emerging global system in its most advance form.

*Chapter 3* by tracing the evolution of the GLIF and R& E networking in
Europe and the Netherlands will explain how research and education networks
have over the past decade independently evolved in the direction needed to
educate the commercial sector in the direction needed for 21st century
viability

*Chapter 4* will focus on the creation of collaboration infrastructures as
the engines for the creation of knowledge infrastructures.

*Chapter 5* will tell the story of Sara and supercomputing with the
Netherlands

*Chapter 6* is devoted to the Das 3 and Star Plane test beds and examines a
day in the life of a researcher to show how the Dutch ecosystem is put
together.

*Chapter 7* moves to the e-science Big Grid which gives users resources for
problems that don’t fit will of super computers and looks at training issues

*Chapter 8* ecology and environmental science illustrated by instrumentation
and tracking of birds and cover innovation in the UK with a separate
interview with Frederique van Till

*Chapter 9* looks at the life sciences and micro arrays

*Chapter 10* covers redesign of LHC OPN networking data and use to
strengthen the infrastructure of the GLIF and Gloriad.

*Chapter 11* Gloriad?