[P2P-F] [Commoning] sharing, essence of things, technological determinism, economic determinism, and neoliberalism

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 02:53:20 CET 2011

Dear R oberto,

Thanks for the info on the community radio, which seems quite powerful for
local communities.

The issue of distance is quite important, but for me it is a civil right and
social justice issue.

I..e alll citizens need to communicate, not just with local resources, but
with global ones, especially in terms of education etc.... The internet is
like the roads, health and education, something which creates a baseline for
all to participate. If it becomes distance-dependent and metered, then it is
not really an issue of the richer ones sponsoring the poor ones, but rather
of only the rich ones using quality global resources, and the effect would
be very similar to the abolition of net neutrality (differential pricing for
who can afford it, and discriminating against content who can't afford
higher pricing). Strategically, it would solidify two-tier societies, and
would make the advantages of capital impregnable, since it would make it
impossible to create global open design communities. In other words, it
would make globa-local peer production impossible. Furthermore, metering has
very strong psychological effects on usage, and like mobile, would refocus
the internet as a entertainment and business medium, rather than as a civic
medium.

I'm not a technician, but I think that the issues of connectivity is a
failure of public services; once in place, connectivity can be used locally
or globally at only a slightly higher marginal costs. I heard from telecom
people that 98% of optical fibre is currently unused, they say
intentionally, to maintain communication scarcity and hence market pricing.
Richer people can participate through taxation, instead of by the market
mechanism you propose. Businesses would still pay for all the extra services
they are using.

In Thailand, I think the situation is a little different; I've been to many
villages both in the North and the Northeast, and have not seen any yet
without points of internet access (of course not personal access, but
collective access). Of course, if you live with very low income, you can't
access even the collective access point, and that is a serious problem.

Apart from the issue of differential pricing, I think your solutions would
go a long way in solving access for the poorest citizens.