[P2P-F] Shareable's call for submissions

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 15:34:45 CET 2011

On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 12:33 AM, Neal Gorenflo <neal at shareable.net> wrote:
> http://www.shareable.net/blog/share-or-die-youth-in-recession-call-for-submissions
>

> DIY How-to’s: If we can’t afford to buy stuff, we’re going to have to
> do a lot more making, repairing, and sharing. Share Or Die is supposed
> to be a useful guide for young people, so this section is going to be
> the core of the collection. These are practical tutorials, but they
> can be as material as building a backyard herb garden or as immaterial
> as starting a band. We’re concerned with the big stuff here: housing,
> transportation, food, relationships, non-traditional forms of work,
> travel, that kind of thing.

A pre-requisite for this part should be that not only are there
how-to's and practical tutorials, but those tutorials and how-to's
also include practical descriptions about how people will do these
activities in a socially cooperative, collaborative or networked
fashion.

There's actually a massive difference between growing your *own* herb
garden that is for you, as compared to growing an herb garden that is
part of a cooperative effort to feed yourself and others who
participate in sharing with you.

Young people can definitely benefit from the proposed basic practical
survival skills in the DIY How to's pitch above. Yet, I believe that
*the* core crucial practical survival skill for young people will be
to learn to effective cooperate, participate in sharing and pooling
networks, sustain ongoing collaboration, and generally learn how to
share what they build.

http://www.appropedia.org is a great existing resource for
collaborating around practical survival designs (I've contributed to
this project. http://cooperationcommons and http://p2pwiki.net
http://meatballwiki.org http://communitywiki.org and
http://collaboration.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page are probably the most
valuable places for ongoing practical knowledge about how to
effectively cooperate, collaborate, and share

Douglas Rushkoff is putting together a set of resources as a companion
to his book Life, inc. too, that promises to be useful for young
people as well

In addition to this, young people are going to be challenged with
figuring out how to make whatever they do together work within the
bounds of the laws of the places they live. Those laws usually favor
activity arranged as for-profit business. Would young people be
wasting their time trying to get involved in changing those politics
in some activist way? And/or, are they better just diving in and
learning how to navigate and prosper within the existing systems and
bureaucracies?

Sam Rose
Future Forward Institute and Forward Foundation
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451
skype: samuelrose
email: samuel.rose at gmail.com