[P2P-F] Unions for Immaterial Production?

Richard Schulte richard at flywheelcollective.com
Fri Feb 25 19:32:16 CET 2011

Patrick,

As a member of a unionized worker co-op who deals exclusively with
software in the free & open source realm, I have not encountered many
issues with the impact of unionization on projects we are involved in.

If anything, unionization in the open source realm could be helpful.
Say, if the workers of Sun Microsystems were unionized, could they not
have resisted the buy-out by Oracle through a strike?

You make a good  point though - that developers in the greater community
could act as 'scabs' in these situations.  The thing is - as long as
they aren't being paid by the company that the workers are striking
against, then there is no issue, and they are not scabs.  If anything,
they could be seen as acting in solidarity with the striking programmers
by ensuring that their software is still stable once they get back on
the clock.  Or they could assist them by forking the project and
continuing development outside of the control of the company (like the
document foundation did). The free and open source community is built
around mutual aid, trust and solidarity (for the most part).

The reason I make such a big point of union organization in the open
source software and hardware communities is that when starting new
ventures that are worker-owned, that these folks can build economies of
scale around collective benefits, group purchasing, training & shared
services.  Having a union that is greater than your own shop is
important when filing grievances and having a wider reach of agency and
community.  When these institutions are worker-owned, and part of an
appropriate economic ecosystem, the balance of power tends to shift away
from moneyed interest and towards federation.  This means that there
will generally be less likelihood of strikes and work stoppage.

Just a thought.

Richard