[P2P-F] Fwd: [knowledgelab] A counter-G20 on Open Data, Open Governement and No More Bullying

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 15:00:37 CET 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dante-Gabryell Monson <dante at ecobytes.net>
Date: Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 8:56 PM
Subject: Fwd: [knowledgelab] A counter-G20 on Open Data, Open Governement
and No More Bullying
To: Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>

via martin, via knowledgelab

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: j.martin.pedersen <m.pedersen at lancaster.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 2:51 PM
Subject: [knowledgelab] A counter-G20 on Open Data, Open Governement and No
More Bullying
To: "knowledgelab at lists.aktivix.org" <knowledgelab at lists.aktivix.org>

-------- Original Message --------

A counter-G20 on Open Data, Open Governement and No More Bullying

When: November 3-4 2011
Where: Tunisia, venue tba
More information soon.

In Cannes, Governments will try to "close" the Net with intellectual
property protection enforcement. We'd like a real "G20 du Net" with
people that make the Internet and not only lawyers that try to close it.
This shadow G20 says we have had enough of those old sad stories of
competition, bullying, citizen bashing and killing. We believe a time
has come for collaboration of ordinary people, dancing in the streets
and saying hello to our neighbours and we want the simple and hackable
devices and infrastructure that go with that.

Tunisia can become an exemplary cybernetic country and hackers can help

- dismantling the net censorship infrastructures
- rebuilding a full decentralized infrastructure that could guarantee
the freedom of speech.
- leapfrog into wireless, NFC, Zigbee, open hardware business models and
Internet of Things

We want to discuss with the people on the ground and be led by them in
setting up hackerspaces throughout the Arab world.

Contact: Olivier Laurelli <olaurelli at bearstech.com>

Salut! Rob

ps It is becoming all the more obvious that it is the very idea of a
state as an organizational form that is prolonging all this violence.
This idea also does strange things to people, probably appealing to
their potential for being part of something 'bigger'. The very notion of
scale as a factor for success can now seen to be synomymous.
Psychologists specialized in the behaviour of larger groups of people
try to explain the relative ease with which one is able to exert
influence over masses by assuming "a causal force which bears on every
member of an aggregate, and also for each individual there is a large
number of idiosyncratic causes (Stinchcombe, 1968: 67 -68n) He
continues: "Now let us suppose that the idiosyncratic forces that we do
not understand are four times as large as the systematic forces that we
do understand....As the size of the population increases from 1 to 100,
the influence of the unknown individual idiosyncratic behavior decreases
from four times as large as the known part to four tenths as large as
the known part. As we go to an agggregate of a million, even if we
understand only the systematic one-fifth individual behavior as assumed
in the table, the part we do not understand of the aggregate behavior
decreases to less than 1 percent (0.004)."

This shows how top down power works and why scaling itself has become
such an important indicator in such a system of 'success'. Imagine you
want to start a project or 'do something' with your friends or
neighbours, say 5 people. This means that you have to take into account
before you do anything - state a goal, negociate deliverables, or even a
first date on which to meet for a kickoff - that all five people relate
to huge idiosyncracies and generic forces that have to be aligned or
overcome before you can even say 'Hello'. This shows how difficult it is
to 'start something'.

Understanding the nature of these social relations in the above terms
show how difficult it is to script moments of fundamental change, as
hierarchical systems by the very fact that they are top down can
concentrate on managing systematic forces relatively effortlessly. That
which they can not predict or control remain lone dissident, strange or
abnormal voices, or 'sudden events'.

With the internet these idiosyncracies have been able to organize and
raise their weight in the ratio, and the internet of things will allow
these even further, bringing the sensornetwork data sets individuals can
handle to them on their devices. This acceleration of weak signals into
clusters, organized networks and flukes can not be managed anymore by
formats that are informed by and that inform systematic forces as the
nature of these forces has changed. People will start seeing more tales
of sharing and collaboration. The tables are turning. Pretty soon people
will start seeing competition for what it is: bullying.

And as we have changed the relative weight of the ideosyncracies ( read:
us) we can only expect brute force ( as we witness now) in the immediate
future, but this will show itself to be impotent in the longer run,

see:
http://www.noemalab.org/sections/ideas/ideas_articles/kranenburg_collaboration.html

#  archive: http://www.nettime.org contact: nettime at kein.org

--
http://commoning.wordpress.com

"...I thought we were an autonomous collective..."

Commons Strategies Group, http://www.commonsstrategies.org/