[P2P-F] [Fw: soros and egypt]

Dan Brickley danbri at danbri.org
Sat Feb 19 10:12:25 CET 2011

On 19 February 2011 02:57, Roberto Verzola <rverzola at gn.apc.org> wrote:
> I wonder what those who are knowledgeable of recent Egyptian developments
> think of this analysis below...

I have no privileged info, but a gut reaction to this kind of material.

It has a typical conspiracy theory feel to me. Bits and pieces of all
kinds, fragments of truth, thrown together to give a psychologically
appealing but largely unsupported revelation of a bigger, scarier,
massively coordinated secret picture. The picture presented in
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/mohamed-elbaradei-the-man-who-would-be-president-2200155.html
seems more plausible than the simplistic line from Cartalucci that El
Baradei really was leading the protests.  Land Destroyer's blog
flipflops in http://landdestroyer.blogspot.com/2011/02/george-soros-egypts-new-constitution.html
and nearby between dismissing the crowds as inflated versus dismissing
them as gullible fools, e.g.  "It appears that while the International
Crisis Group may be turning out the strategy, and their trustee
ElBaradei leading the mobs into the streets".  If this were truly a
carefully orchestrated 'globalist' consiracy, perhaps we'd have since
a bit more leadership on the ground, rather than the gaping lack of
clear leaders that seems to have characterised the last few weeks. I
find it hard to trust someone who strikes such an all-knowing tone,
casually dismissive of the views and feelings of those in the street -
"... hordes of duped US-backed activists".

I'd be surprised if there were not a variety of players at work, but
this "it's all a [communist|globalist|jewish|colonialist] plot" is the
stuff of comic books. Like the best pop-sci writing, it makes the
reader feel clever. And like the worst social commentary, it instills
a cynicism that allows people to dismiss the real life situation of
millions because they are somehow puppets of a secret hand. Having
infowars.com in the blog's sidebar is a little alarm bell, as is the
implicit assumption in
http://landdestroyer.blogspot.com/2011/02/who-are-egypts-protesters_09.html
that the presence of unions on the street somehow de-legitimises the
protests...

cheers,

Dan