[P2P-F] Traditional Indigenous Knowledge listed as Intangible Cultural Heritage, in the Colombian Amazon

Douglas Rushkoff rushkoff at rushkoff.com
Thu Feb 17 06:56:27 CET 2011

Just did Garum day, which gave me a much clearer understanding of Las
Indias and the Indianos themselves.

They definitely get, and teach, the history and potential of p2p
society, and adopt what to me would be defined as a
anarcho-syndicalist approach to collaborative value creation. So it's
cyberpunk distributed collectives, working in three Hispanic regions
of the world, mostly consulting with and transforming capitalists into
knowledge economy advocates.

The event I was at involved a reformed bank CEO, having quit the bank,
now starting a foundation to promote net-native enterprises through
knowledge sharing. The press did not believe he didn't have an
ulterior motive (they think he will want to invest in the companies or
run for office or something) but I think it's more of a personal
transformation - like Bill Gates doing his foundation.

The interesting thing was Las Indias seemed less like consultants
than, well, convincers and reformers. They love this man - he is like
their client and their student. I have felt like this the few times I
have actually interacted with the CEO's at companies where I have
delivered speeches. But I have never been able to sustain a
relationship with a company without feeling like a sell our, or like
they are just taking my best stuff to use in the opposite way.

So I must give them credit for having enough of their own momentum to
do what they do regardless of the context. Still, they met the banker
when they were hired to develop a social network for his bank. And I
dont' know if I would have let myself accept such a contract in the
first place. And I am not sure what that means about me, much less
them. They seem to have done well by taking on the bank.