[P2P-F] Traditional Indigenous Knowledge listed as Intangible Cultural Heritage, in the Colombian Amazon

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 02:20:34 CET 2011

2011/2/15 Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>:
> sam, there is also an issue of population growth,
>
> slash and burn was okay in a non-industrial society with few people, but
> with a population explosion, and in the context of additional problems from
> industrial pollution, it increasingly becomes problematic,
>
> Michel

Agree, although this is not so much about slash and burn as the
traditional indigenous culture approach which I understand was a soil
restoration method that was practiced in moderation. Plus it was
practiced in conjunction with either cultivation or a period of system
renewal where further burning was not practiced. This is discussed
extensively in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1491:_New_Revelations_of_the_Americas_Before_Columbus
there were deep relationships between how indigenous people
terra-formed their environments, and the ecologies that emerged in
North and South America. There is evidence of a change in ecologies
even from the first visits of Europeans to the subsequent visits 100
years later, when it is speculated massive amounts of Native Americans
died off by being exposed to European diseases.

Still, there could be issues with more people doing it, I can see that point.

Yet, there is also a problem with the fact that there is currently
very little total worldwide human soil restoration of any kind vs the
rate of soil depletion as I understand it. We are backing ourselves
into some corners as a species.

email: samuel.rose at gmail.com
http://forwardfound.org