[P2P-F] [Commoning] new capitalism and commoning

Denis Postle d.postle at btinternet.com
Thu Feb 10 16:57:33 CET 2011

On 10/02/2011 13:35, Michel Bauwens wrote:
> Silke has asked several of us to refrain from further communication,
> so I have sent a reply privately to Christian,

This has the virtue  of opening up a space where other perspectives
might be of assistance.

This is this a research group so I'll free free to jump with an outline
of a piece of research that, improprieties apart, can account for some
of the miscommunication and disagreement that has been prevalent here
lately.

A well validated piece of research, the Kirton Adaption Innovation [KAI]
scale points to a spectrum of Creative Styles ranging from Adaptive to
Innovative. The detail of the scale doesn't need to concern us here.
What matters is that while the KAI says nothing about the value or
amount of creativity a person manifests, it has a lot to offer about
different approaches/styles through which we prefer to be creative, and
how we view or engage in change.

Headlines: (keep in mind that the distribution in the researched
populations is a bell curve)

People with an Adaptive style prefer evolution of the present as a form
of change and seek to work within settled boundaries. They come up with
few but realistic ideas and projects that are often implemented. They
are often found settled near centres of power/influence.

People with a strong Innovative style tend to be outsiders or on the
margins of institutions and prefer fresh starts and out of the box
thinking. They are commonly prolific with lots of not very well grounded
ideas, which they have difficulty in getting implemented. They may face
considerable disappointment and rejection.

Why might this be relevant here? One of the outcomes of the KAI work is
that it shows that people who are 10 points away from each other in
style will need to take care to understand and be understood, and that
people 2O points apart will likely see each other as aliens, wrong,
impossible, problematic.

As a high innovator who's experienced enough rejection and
disappointment I have moved, partly due the KAI perspective to respect
for the more adaptive person's capacity to hold and sustain continuity,
something I find hard to do. Conversely, organizations that become too
dependent on Adaptive creativity tend to eventually slip into
stagnation. The task for people with a highly adaptive style is to find
respect for the alien innovators who want to overturn everything that is
settled.

I hope this helps account for some of the current distance between list
participants here.

Our server is down at the moment, when it is available, I'll post an
introduction to the KAI.

Denis

> Michel
>
> On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 8:02 PM, Christian Siefkes
> <christian at siefkes.net <mailto:christian at siefkes.net>> wrote:
>
>     On 02/10/2011 01:28 PM, Michel Bauwens wrote:
>     > Sorry Massimo, I can only judge from what I see on this list,
>     and I have a
>     > responsibility to my friends to warn them what they're getting
>     into; once
>     > they engage, it's their responsiblity, but they deserve a warning,
>     [...]
>     > On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 6:16 PM, Massimo De Angelis
>     <commoning at gmail.com <mailto:commoning at gmail.com>
>     > <mailto:commoning at gmail.com <mailto:commoning at gmail.com>>> wrote:
>     [...]
>     >     the same time you send emails to your greek friends warning
>     them I am a
>     >     sectarian always looking for a fight while saying "massimo
>     is part of
>     >     the radical set that always judges others to be coopted, and
>     always
>     >     calling for struggle, with little regard for constructive
>     altenatives,
>     >     and also little regard of whether a struggle can actually
>     win ... People
>     >     like him, and his associate martin pedersen usually like to
>     act as
>     >     troublemakers during conferences and such ... . "
>
>     Did you really write that, Michel?? I must say, I'm shocked. I
>     sometimes
>     disagree with what Massimo and Martin are saying, but I've not the
>     slightest
>     idea what made you label them as "troublemakers". Nor why you felt
>     to had to
>     send "warnings" to others. Surely we can do much, much, much
>     better than
>     that in our interactions with each other...
>
>     Best regards
>            Christian
>
>     --
>     |------- Dr. Christian Siefkes ------- christian at siefkes.net
>     <mailto:christian at siefkes.net> -------
>     | Homepage: http://www.siefkes.net/ | Blog: http://www.keimform.de/
>     |    Peer Production Everywhere: http://peerconomy.org/wiki/
>     |---------------------------------- OpenPGP Key ID: 0x346452D8 --
>     The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the
>     poor to
>     sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.
>            -- Anatole France

> Commons Strategies Group, http://www.commonsstrategies.org/

The Mind Gymnasium FREE ebook Library <http://www.mind-gymnasium.com/>
A unique digital resource for Personal and Professional development