[P2P-F] Fwd: [OK] Creating a 'Dating Site' for the Climate Action Movement!... reviving Project Matching

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 08:10:33 CET 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Suresh Fernando <suresh2323 at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 11:06 PM
Subject: [OK] Creating a 'Dating Site' for the Climate Action Movement!...
reviving Project Matching
To: openkollab at googlegroups.com
Cc: Cooperationcommons at googlegroups.com, coalition at googlegroups.com

Hi Everyone,

I have some exciting news! I will be working with the Coalition of the
Willing <http://cotw.cc/wiki/Coalition_of_the_Willing> project to
create a *'dating
site'* for the Climate Action Movement. The objective is to create a
technology platform and associated processes to enable climate action
projects to identify each other and align in a swarm like fashion.

See Tim Rayner's
description<https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1kLA1g58tMZbb0-4uqkZU5vDkMMoHpdziOWk_qMkeYIk>of
the Coalition of the Willing Project!

There are many projects with similar objectives that wold be better served
if these projects connected with one another. By coordinating and converging
on common goals, climate action projects could achieve the critical mass
necessary to bring about massive social and systemic change.

The theory underlying the 'dating site' was developed under the OpenKollab
umbrella along with the contribution of many of you that are still on this
list. The details can be found in this presentation
<http://www.slideshare.net/sureshf/openkollab-project-matching>as well as
here. <http://wiki.openkollab.com/wagn/ProjectMapping> I have also attached
an executive summary describing the project.

The stages in the development of this project can be found in the table
below:
*
To get things going, we are scheduling a Skype chat session to discuss the
project*, answer questions, and to identify those that might be interested
in participating.

*If you are interested in participating in the call, please provide your
availability in this Doodle link. <http://doodle.com/3cnvhuixsqyz6sf2%20>*

*IMPLEMENTATION PLAN*

*Preparation Phase*

This consists of two tracks that we can work on in parallel:

  *Technology/Platform Track*

*Outreach Track*

*Develop Project Ontology:* What information do we want to collect and why?
We need to remember that the function of the information is to facilitate
matching.

*Develop Project Selection Criteria: *what sorts of projects do we want to
approach and why?

* *

*Develop Supporting Collateral Material*

·         Executive Summary

·         Powerpoint Presentation

·         Short Video

*Develop List of Suggested Projects: *

·         Develop central list to identify contacts we have that can assist
us

·         What databases do we have and what projects have we been tracking?

*Develop Web Platform*

·         Basic website

·         *Input form:* some custom fields based on project ontology that we
develop as well as mechanism to solicit natural language input

·         Upload all associated collateral material

·         Ensure that project information that we collect is visible. This
need not be complicated at this stage. Maybe a simple online spreadsheet is
enough.

*Identify Supports/Partners*

·         What organizations can we work with that can support our efforts?

·         Wiserearth, 350.org… etc.

*Information Gathering Phase: *target information from 100 projects. More
generally we need to develop an outreach strategy that might look something
like the following:

  *Identify Information Gathering Team*: those within the COTW project that
will commit to forwarding emails about the project to prospective projects
and conducting follow up to solicit the required information.

*Subdivide Database Amongst Information Gathering Team:* Clearly it makes
most sense for those to contact people with whom they have an existing
relationship. Those that we don’t have a relationship with can be divided up
amongst the group

*Send Out Information Gathering Emails*: the Outreach Team can forward
emails to the various projects with a description of the process

*Arrange Web Conferences: *Conduct weekly web presentation on PMS in order
educate interested parties; partners, projects etc.

*Conduct Follow Up:* actively solicit and engage projects in order obtain
project information

--
*Suresh Fernando *
BLOG <http://sureshf.posterous.com/>,
YOUTUBE<http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhum>,
OK WEBSITE, <http://openkollab.com>OK FAN PAG
<http://goog_1343289408>E<http://www.facebook.com/openkollab?ref=ts#%21/openkollab>
, OK GROUP <http://groups.google.ca/group/openkollab>,
OK-WE<http://www.wiserearth.org/group/openkollab>,
PHILOSOPHY,  <http://sureshfernando.wordpress.com> TWITTER,
<http://twitter.com/sureshf> FACEBOOK,
<http://facebook.com/suresh.fernando>WOTW FAN
PAGE<http://www.facebook.com/tedxvancouver?v=wall#%21/pages/The-Way-Of-The-Warrior/156574347703364>
LINKEDIN<http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=412718&authType=name&authToken=GrUl&locale=en_US&pvs=pp&trk=ppro_viewmore>,
SLIDESHARE <http://www.slideshare.net/sureshf>
*
**'The counter cultural revolution was a rhizomatic meshwork of
loosely-coordinated, loosely-affiliated struggles. The goals of these
struggles weren’t always complimentary, but the struggles were aligned and
together they staged a mass offensive to shatter the status quo'*. - from
The Coalition of the Willing

Commons Strategies Group, http://www.commonsstrategies.org/