[P2P-F] [P2P Foundation] New Comment On: BIBO - A Standard for Stable Currencies

Roberto Verzola rverzola at gn.apc.org
Mon Feb 7 13:20:56 CET 2011

There seems to be a flaw is Marc's argument below ("leave an
interest-bearing loan device on its own and debt will grow towards
infinity"):

Interest must be paid regularly or the loan will be called in. The
monetary system's design does NOT include allowing interest due to grow
indefinitely. So, any model that simulates the process should assume
either regular interest repayments (to ensure that interest due does not
grow indefinitely) or a loan termination process kicks in.

While it is true that fixed interest payments, over an infinite period
of time, appears to accumulate to infinity, the accumulated total will
be actually be a finite value if one takes into account the time value
of money (1 dollar a year from now is worth less than 1 dollar today).
If the discounting rate is 1%, for example, , then an infinite stream of
$1 a year is actually equivalent to a finite $100 today (i.e., $100
deposited at 1% interest will give an infinite stream of $1 a year).

Roberto