[P2P-F] [P2P Foundation] New Comment On: BIBO - A Standard for Stable Currencies

Roberto Verzola rverzola at gn.apc.org
Mon Feb 7 13:19:28 CET 2011

On the BIBO debate:

In addition to the sustainability issue, may I also point out a social
justice issue: a privileged section of the population (bankers) are
allowed to create *money out of nothing* temporarily, and then, from
that conjured fund, earn interest which is permanently theirs. An
ordinary citizen like me is not allowed to conjure such money, lend it
to a bank as deposit, then close the deposit after a year, destroy the
conjured money, but keep the interest for myself as real cash. (Indeed,
why should I destroy it? I would deposit it again!). That is why bankers
who resort to fraud to make even *more* money are truly greedy -- they
are not satisfied with this super-special privilege they already have to
earn interest out of conjured money.

On Ardeshir's point that "loans are NEVER issued for unlimited amounts
of time":

Banks do open credit lines to favored/established customers, who do not
have to apply for new loans, pay them fully over time, reapply again,
etc.  Since these credit lines do not have a fixed time period, they are
in effect loans for indefinite duration, and as long as the bank is in
business, and the borrower remains in good standing, the latter will be
paying interest indefinitely on the average level of credit that he is
using.

Roberto