[P2P-F] P2P and Landscape of Change

Pamela McLean pamela.mclean at dadamac.net
Thu Dec 29 16:06:26 CET 2011

Dear Michel

Thank you for your encouragement and the links.

Ref  " ... why not write it out for the p2p blog?"  The answer is.... "my
incompetence!"-  I understnd that it's a wiki.

I've just put in a bit of time going to P2P
http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/and I found the page
http://p2pfoundation.net/How_To_Contribute - which rather reinforced my
feeling that I'm unlikely to write for wikis until they pass my technical
simplicity test of "as easy to use as a fridge".

*"Socio-tech" - the people side of things*

Before I totally undermine my credibility I should probably mention that
I'm not completely digitally ignorant, but my skills and knowledge are
patchy, and my emphasis is on "socio-tech" - the people side of things. Way
back in the earliest days of "micro-computers" when I wanted to explore
some practicalities of computer use in my infant classroom I used to do my
own programming - mainly in BASIC, but with bits of machine code poked in
as necessary.  However I did it because I wanted to investigate the
potential of computers to alter the roles of teachers and learners, and so
I needed to explore ideas about the user interface, and push the boundaries
of computer useability for very young children. It was in the days before
drop down menus and all the other things we now take for granted, and the
children I was working with were at the earliest stages of literacy, so
there were considerable challenges.

My interests have always been on the "people" side of things not the tech
itself. Given that my work over the past ten years has been  in
collaboration with people in Africa my ICT skills have developed in things
like "helping people to work together at a distance", rather than improving
how to edit wiki pages or present things on you tube.

I appreciate the benefits of wikis. Back in 2004 when I prepared a course
to introduce ICT to teachers in rural Nigeria I was helped by an online
group who produced a wiki for me to use with the course participants. But I
didn't do it myself. It was done in collaboration with others. I set up the
collaborative online group. It generated so much useful information that
someone (Ross Gardler) suggested a wiki, and was willing to set it up.
Others helped.
http://www.dadamac.net/projects/education-and-training/teachers-talking

As a result I had a well stocked "online resource cupboard" wiki to use
with the participants when I presented the course - and a great support
group online to welcome the participants to the world of the Internet. I
was simply a user.
*
Need for help*

I know it shouldn't really take me long to learn these things - but I learn
by doing things with other people, not from written instructions. I like
doing things in collaboration with other people.
http://www.dadamac.net/node/916

As a "home based worker" I have very little chance to pick up new skills
from people working around me. I'm not someone who is interested in
"playing with techie things" to see what they do;  I don't have the
yearning or budget for "the latest gadgets";  I don't have members of my
family "handing down last years tech to me". This means that my ICT skills
tend to be limited to what I need to use on a daily basis.

I live in hope of working with more collaborators/mentors who have the
skills I lack and would help me to get stuff online (wiki entries,
graphics, video, etc ...even straight forward write-ups). Of course that's
not as simple as it sounds because the people with the presentation skills
have to become familiar with the content first. I think they'd need to put
in rather a lot of time in order to do that - or a lot of patience helping
me to develop skills in a meaningful learn-by-doing way.

Maybe it'll only happen when I've got a collaboration group working locally
and I often go there instead of working from home. Maybe that way I'd be
able to pick up skills and others would pick up information about what I'm
doing.

Meanwhile maybe there's someone on P2P who'd mentor me on putting the
content onto the wiki if I did write up "Landscape of Change" for the p2p
blog (BTW - I'm definitely not thinking of you for this Michel)

Pam