[P2P-F] Fw: Democracy trumps austerity

robert searle dharao4 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Dec 9 16:02:44 CET 2011

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Alex Wilks - Avaaz.org <avaaz at avaaz.org>
To: "dharao4 at yahoo.co.uk" <dharao4 at yahoo.co.uk>
Sent: Thursday, 8 December 2011, 15:53
Subject: Democracy trumps austerity

Dear friends,

In 24 hours EU leaders may take an axe to our jobs and our democracy. But we can block this. If we send massive signal to the summit that we won't surrender our rights and our future, they'll realise that their plan will never pass a referendum, and make a new, better plan. Sign the petition urging leaders to reject austerity and save the economy now:
  Tomorrow EU leaders may wave through a crazy Merkel/Sarkozy plan that would abolish our right to choose sane economic policies. But together, we can stop our leaders trashing our democracy and our jobs.Panicked by big banks, EU governments -- all but 5 of which are conservative-led -- want to change our constitutions and the EU treaty to permanently ban high public spending. This is nuts: in the 1930s, such spending was precisely what allowed Europe and the US to escape the Great Depression. Europe needs to toughen up and regulate the banks, not surrender to them our right to choose policies that create jobs. Not now, and certainly not forever.Democracy is our trump card. The 27 EU leaders can’t just agree this plan themselves -- they need to come up with solutions that will stand the test of referenda or parliamentary votes. If we raise a mass chorus from across Europe today, we can change their political calculations and force a rethink. Let's call
 on our leaders to reject austerity, regulate the banks and invest in our future. If we reach 100,000 signers, we'll deliver the petition to the waiting media outside tomorrow's summit. Sign and send to everyone: http://www.avaaz.org/en/democracy_trumps_austerity/?vl A few Eurozone countries used the single currency as an excuse to over-spend, and Europe needs to stop that happening again. But short-circuiting democracy always backfires and can provoke a right-wing backlash. The tough economic decisions Europe needs must be taken by strong, democratic, accountable institutions. Even Germany has repeatedly violated, and is currently violating, its own promises to limit its debt and deficit. Keeping those promises would have been counter-productive at a time when money is tight. The hawkish bond buyers have already toppled three European governments -- let's stop them in their tracks. If Germany allows it, the European Central Bank can do what other
 central banks do -- intervene to guarantee government bonds and face down the markets. Since Italy isn't bankrupt, the bank can even make money on this. If the ECB buys time, the EU can find a more sensible and democratic way out of the current crisis, including through new measures to tax speculation and channel credit to those of us who need it most.This is about the survival of the European welfare state, which represents our core values and helps stabilise our economies when recessions hit. If the new constitutions and treaties are agreed this week, our governments would have to keep cutting spending on unemployment insurance, pensions and health, worsening the recession. It's a no-brainer. For the sake of our democracies, our societies and our economies, we have to say no. Sign the petition now: http://www.avaaz.org/en/democracy_trumps_austerity/?vl Reasonable people can disagree about the best way to protect us all from national overspending and
 crippling debt. But imposing austerity measures that we already know won't work and tying the hands of our democracy is not the answer. Over and over again, our community has stood up and won real accountability from our leaders when they have tried to bypass us -- now we must come together and demand to be heard once again. With hope, Alex, Emma, Ricken, Jamie, Pascal, Giulia, Stephanie, Laura and the rest of the Avaaz team. More information: Germany’s Denial, Europe’s Disaster (New York Times)http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/30/opinion/germanys-denial-europes-disaster.html?_r=2&hpMerkozy EU Treaty plan faces obstacles (Der Spiegel)http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/0,1518,802221,00.htmlEurozone warned of credit downgrades after Germany and France strike deal (The Guardian)http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/dec/05/eurozone-credit-downgrade-germany-france?INTCMP=SRCHKilling the Euro (New York
 Times)http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/30/opinion/germanys-denial-europes-disaster.html?_r=2&hpIs the euro zone’s flaw fatal? (Washington Post)http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/02/opinion/krugman-killing-the-euro.html?src=ISMR_AP_LO_MST_FB
Support the Avaaz Community!
We're entirely funded by donations and receive no money from governments or corporations. Our dedicated team ensures even the smallest contributions go a long way.
Avaaz.org is a 10-million-person global campaign network that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 13 countries on 4 continents and operates in 14 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook or Twitter.

To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at www.avaaz.org/en/contact or call us at +1-888-922-8229 (US).