[P2P-F] Fwd: [Commoning] ICAPE conference

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 13:47:50 CEST 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Wolfgang Hoeschele <whoesch at truman.edu>
Date: Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 11:53 PM
Subject: [Commoning] ICAPE conference
To: "mailto:"@truman.edu

 Dear Commoners:
Through the US Solidarity Economy Network (of which I am a member), I was
alerted yesterday to a conference that is going to be held in November in
Amherst, Massachusetts - the announcement for which is appended below. I
plan to be involved in one panel that focuses on ideas of the solidarity
economy, but in addition I want to explore whether there's interest in
organizing a session which would focus on the commons (and where I would
also be part of that). Please let me know if you are interested in taking
part in this!

Regards,
Wolfgang

Greetings colleague,

We would be pleased if you would consider submitting a proposal for a paper,
session of papers, or roundtable for ICAPE's 3rd international research
conference, * "Rethinking economics in a time of economic
distress."*Founded in 1993, the International
Confederation of Associations for Pluralism in Economics
(ICAPE)<http://www.icape.org/>is an association of associations
committed to promoting healthy diversity
in approaches to producing economic knowledge.

For the upcoming conference, to be held at U.Mass.-Amherst on Nov. 11-13,
2011, we invite proposals for papers or sessions from any strand of
interested scholarship, examining topics of cross-cutting interest for
creating a more robust, socially-valuable body of economic knowledge.
Potential topics could include (but are not limited to):

* Re-thinking macro models via complex-systems: Path dependencies,
endogenous cycles, emergent properties
* Minskian analyses of financial fragility & implications for financial
policy
* Is fiscal policy different in the 21st century? Deficits & global bond
markets
* Stresses and strains in the international financial system: Currencies,
governance, emerging powers
* Enriching economics through perspectives of race, gender, ethnicity, and
class
* Ecological sustainability as a central concern in economic analysis
* Measuring economic performance differently: Alternatives to GDP
* Human-capabilities and development practice
* Bringing the state back in to economic development
* Social and behavioral approaches to individual economic behavior: Is homo
economicus dead?
* Grass-roots economic change: Community economies, local currencies, living
wages, urban farming
* The economics of war and peace
* Heterodox economics and social provisioning
* Alternative theories of business cycles: Austrian, Post-Keynesian,
Marxian, Schumpeterian
* Profits, factor shares, and financialized capitalism; varieties of
capitalism(s)
* Ethics and the economics profession
* Economic education after the financial crisis: What needs to change?
* Practices of economic research: journals, research evaluation,
interdisplinarity, underrepresented groups in the economics profession
* Changes in empirical methods: Has the ‘con’ gone out of econometrics? Are
experiments the only right way to study individual economic behavior?
* Pluralism as a strategy for building a more robust economic knowledge
* Innovations in all strands of unconventional economic theory:
Evolutionary, ecological, complexity, institutional, feminist, Austrian,
Marxian, Post-Keynesian, behavioral/psychological, social, radical political
economy, critical realism, general heterodox

The deadline for submitting proposals is April 30, 2011. We welcome
proposals for individual papers, full sessions, and roundtables. To submit
proposals, please go to: https://editorialexpress.com/conference/ICAPE2011,
and follow the instructions given there. For individual papers, please
include: Your name, your title and affiliation, an abstract of 300 words or
less, 3 keywords, and contact information (address, phone, email). For full
sessions of papers, panels, and other formats, please include the above for
each contribution, as well as a title for the session, chair, discussants,
and the name and contact information of the session organizer. *Please alert
promising graduate students to this opportunity to present their work, get
new ideas, begin to make connections, etc. *Information on plenary speakers,
travel logistics, etc. will be posted soon on the ICAPE website:
www.icape.org.

For further information or questions, please contact one of the co-chairs of
the organizing committee: Martha Starr, mstarr at american.edu, or Erik Olsen,
olsenek at umkc.edu.

Organizing committee: Martha Starr, Erik Olsen, Ioana Negru, Giuseppe
Fontana, Mwangi wa Githinji,Andrew Mearman, Bruce Pietrykowski
Virgil Storr

Advisory committee: Gerald Epstein, David Colander, John Davis, Edward
Fullbrooke, Rob Garnett, Stephanie Seguino