[Centre] Work in the bid

Cubitt S.R. S.R.Cubitt at soton.ac.uk
Sat Aug 20 11:02:36 CEST 2011

I hadn't heard that: there have been protests over library closures, not only form the well-read but as community drop-in centre, homeless shelter, place for elderly to keep warm and read the paper. Levels of literacy in the affected boroughs are appalling. I'm reworking my book on eco-critique outwards in an attempt to include those kinds of environment: the economic failure is half a story whose other side is the abandonment of the relatively newly created underclass (really a Thatcher invention) by all political parties – including the greens and all but a handful of ultraleft groups

gangs are the only educational force framed for these circumstances.

Perhaps libraries burn as one of the few local services offering some sort of alternative (or perhaps the Schadenfreude of banned rowdies? In the fog of war  . . .  I blogged "Now is not the time for action; now is the time for talk" but there's very little – and will be less with Cameron's hatred of any education or research other than STEM (science-technology-engineering-medecine)

Which gets me neatly back to clearing my desk so I can write the bid on Monday in such a way as to sneak our research in under a neoliberal CFP (nil desperandum: if AHRC like it they will help sell to the politicians as needed: first steps first: the square circle of P2P culture with often far more staid busniess school colleagues

PS reading the edition of ephemera on digital labour (also a good piece in an earlier issue on universities) - may add a strand of that to the bid
http://www.ephemeraweb.org/journal/10-3/10-3index.htm