[Musix-usuarios] Re: 1.0r3 test 4 probs and suggestions - chibitracker

Marcos Guglielmetti marcospcmusica en gmail.com
Lun Ene 21 03:37:50 CET 2008

Hola allcoms:
 | Thanks for the quick reply Marcos!
 |
 | >  | Firstly, the (kanotix) installer is broke. I installed Musix to an
 | >  | ext3 /dev/hda2 with the kanotix installer but it didn't configure
 | >  | grubs menu.conf properly- the partition (hda2) should've been
 | >  | described as hd(0,1) but Musix set it up as hd(0,0) which resulted in
 | >  | no kernel being found and so no boot.
 | >
 | > It was solved:
 | > http://www.musix.org.ar/wiki/index.php/Musix1.0r3test4-announce#IDE_hds
 | >
 | > You have a patch there. Also, we are releasing test5 in a few ours
 |
 | Great!

:D The live CD is there, now the livd-dvd is going up

 | >  | Secondly, I thought I read that Musix was supposed to auto-mount
 | >  | drives now but I was unable to get it to even register my USB SD card
 | >  | adapter / SD card.
 | >
 | > Our 2.6.21 kernel does not has support for this kind of memory cards,
 | > install the linux-image-2.6.23-rt1
 |
 | Will this patch be included in Test 5s default kernel?

Not into the Live-DVD kernel, but yes into the _installed_ Live-DVD system.
But, anyway, yo can install linux-image-2.6.23-rt1 anytime, it's easy

apt-get update

apt-get install linux-image-2.6.23-rt1

Next testing releases (not 1.0 ones) of Musix will have multiluns (that's what
makes SD reading possible) enabled

 | >  | Third, seeing as rox is the default desktop, I'd also like to have
 | >  | rox used as the default file manager when I double-click 'Home' or
 | >  | any other file links on the desktop. How do I make rox the default
 | >  | file manager?
 | >
 | > Good: I like it too :D
 | >
 | > right clic on the icon (i suppose, the Home icon), Edit element, and
 | > just put ~/ in the first field, and remove the text in the second one
 |
 | Cool! I'll try that in a minute. Yes, I'm a fan of rox as it even runs
 | and opens really fast on machines with 64MB RAM (I know from running
 | it on xbox and zaurus Linux), maybe even less?

Fantastic... I really like it, and I have a duron 1800 , 384 RAM, I prefer rox
than xfe or konqueror sometimes, to look for something faster, using markers

 | >  | The last and biggest prob I've had with musix is I've been unable to
 | >  | get internet working after installation although it does work when
 | >  | run off the live CD. netcardconfig doesn't run at all and using the
 | >  | DHCP netcard config option under Musixconfig hasn't worked either.
 | >
 | > Thats weird, really... did you tried dhcp with sudo? netcardconfig as
 | > root?
 |
 | Yes. I'll just have to see if I have the same problem under Test 5...

maybe yes: I was experimenting ramdom behavior of dhcp... It would be easy for
you to modify some startup script and add simple: dhclient

If not, as root run: dhclient, or

sudo dhclient as normal user.

Or add sudo dhclient to ~/Autostart/start.sh

echo -n "sudo dhclient&" >> ~/Autostart/start.sh

 | >  | As I've said already, Music is the best 700MB selection of FOSS
 | >  | software I've ever seen but it can still be made even better - fix
 | >  | the above bugs and scrap both Soundtracker and Cheesetracker and
 | >  | replace them with the more powerful, more portable and better looking
 | >  | chibitracker please!
 | >  |
 | >  | http://chibitracker.berlios.de/
 | >
 | > Y will add it to the pending task list, thanks
 | >
 | > http://prdownload.berlios.de/chibitracker/chibitracker-1.1.tar.gz
 |
 | Great, thanks!
 |
 | >  | Traverso should also be included on Musix eventually,
 | >
 | > it's allready there
 |
 | I can't find it on test 4- you mean its in Test 5 CD or on Test 5 DVD?

It's installed by default on almost any Musix version, test4 has it too:

apt-cache policy traverso
traverso:
  Installed: 0.30.0
  Candidate: 0.30.0
  Version table:
 *** 0.30.0 0
        500 ftp://musix.ourproject.org ./ Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

You can use the Audio desktop, or (at icewm) press the [Windows key]+ [Space
Bar] and type traverso, or open a konsole and type traverso

 | >  | maybe after the
 | >  | next (0.43) release
 | >  |
 | >  | I'm looking forward to future Musix releases - thanks for your help
 | >  | and a great distro!
 | >  |
 | >  | Dan
 | >
 | > Thanks, the Live-DVD it's a good project too
 |
 | I will - I would hope to see vlc, DeVeDe, xdtv (xawdecode), winff and
 | maybe even KDEnlive 0.6(cvs) on the DVD- are they included?

No, sorry: only VLC and kdenlive, but not this 0.6 version, 0.4 from debian
multimedia (anyway, you can upgrade your hole system if you want to but):
Musix 1.0 is a very stable system, not a bleeding edge one;  I started the
migration to debian/testing because of this, just today, to get more up to
date software,  debian/testing derivated versions will not be out there so
soon

The 1.0 age is not finished yet for us.

Anyway, you can use Cinelerra if kdenlive 0.4 does not fits your needs, or you
can use Kino

 | How about hypermammut, by the author of ZynAddSubFX Paul Nasca- it
 | converts pictures to sound and vice versa!

I listened this name before, I will add it as the other apps you told me.

For now:

http://www.musix.org.ar/wiki/index.php?title=Musix1.0r3test5-announce

"New packages on the Live-DVD: OpenOffice (75 languages), full KDE Desktop (63
languages), dozens of education apps (23 categories), a 75Mb Steinway Piano
Soundfont, full printer and scanner support, amarok, scribus, cinelerra,
kino, blender, inkscape, Linux Multimedia Studio, democracyplayer, vlc,
mplayer, kdenlive, qdvdauthor, mandvd, Clam, Qcad, wengophone, a lot of
games, gem, yafray, beryl, compiz, canorus, konversation, qemu, freej,
konserve, lives, stellarium, nted, clamav, avscan, development packages,
mozilla-firefox-locale (28 languages), manpages (23 languages), Linux
2.6.23-rt1 (when installed) and more!"

* Complete package list ordered alphabetically

http://www.musix.org.ar/wiki/index.php?title=Live-DVD_packages

 | http://sourceforge.net/projects/hypermammut
 |
 | Nice one Marcos!
 |
 | dan

Cheers

I updated http://www.musix.org.ar/wiki/index.php?title=Sugerencias_de_software

--
     `&'
      #    Marcos Guglielmetti, co-director de

"Nuestras clases dominantes han procurado siempre que los trabajadores no
tengan historia, no tengan
doctrina, no tengan héroes ni mártires. Cada lucha debe empezar de nuevo,
separada de las luchas
anteriores: la experiencia colectiva se pierde, las lecciones se olvidan. La
historia aparece así como
propiedad privada, cuyos dueños son los dueños de todas las otras cosas"
(Rodolfo Walsh)