[Musix-usuarios] Re: [LAU] [ANN] JAD 1.0 officially released

Marcos Guglielmetti marcospcmusica en gmail.com
Mie Sep 19 01:33:15 CEST 2007

El Lunes, 17 de Septiembre de 2007 11:24, tim hall escribió:
 | david wrote:
 | > Yah, I could burn a SuSE CD and install that, then upgrade the packages.
 | > Thanks for the idea. Just what I need - (YALAD) Yet Another Linux Audio
 | > Distro throing it's hat into the ring. I wonder how it compares to
 | > pure:bolic, dyne:bolic, Musix, Ubuntu Studio, Studio64,
 |
 | It's '64 Studio' btw.
 |
 | or what other's
 |
 | > I forgot to include?
 | >
 | > I do sometimes wish the developers would all get together
 |
 | That's roughly what we're all doing on this list. (or LAD anyway)
 |
 |   and focus on
 |
 | > one distro and finish making the applications work right ... ;-)
 |
 | It's never going to happen due to the laws of statistical probability.
 | How many plants do you know that concentrate all their energy into
 | growing one long stalk? There are fundamental disagreements of approach,
 | which are not going to get resolved. The most obvious that comes to mind
 | is: do we stroke the furry hooves of VST support or persevere with the
 | limitations of LADSPA? You will notice that the major distros (Debian;
 | SuSE; RedHat; Gentoo &c.) have sub-distros to a greater or lesser
 | extent. It is logical that there will be as many Audio sub-distros too.
 |
 | JAD isn't just YALAD. Most of the distros you mention are Debian based,
 | for a start. Some people actually _like_ KDE/E11t on their desktop, they
 | _want_ their OS to roll over and wave its legs in the air every time a
 | proprietary plug-in comes along. I'll just be glad not to have to field
 | comments from people who think that Debian is somehow broken because it
 | doesn't do this.
 |
 | We all get different itches, hence the wide variety of scratching
 | devices. Some people even like to collect them all! YMWV
 |
 | Sometimes I wonder whether we all just need a liver cleanse. ;)
 |
 | cheers,
 |
 | tim
 | /|\

(sorry about my english)

Well, when Musix started on Jun 2005, it was really difficult to make music
using jack, so, we started from a Knoppix distro and upgraded many packages
to debian/unstable; in this way jackd would be more stable.

Also, those days the Live-CDs where not so user friendly (i mean dyne:bolic,
for instance); aGNUla/DeMuDi was a great project, but the Live-CD wasn't too
usable, and it had problems to get developer involved into their project.

If you want to show a friend how does GNU/Linux works, it's easy to launch a
live-cd, at least, it's faster than a full installation (if you want to, you
can install Musix)

Also, spanish, catalan, euskera, portuguese speakers users did not had tech
support in their languages, so Musix started with spanish mailing lists and
forums.

I remember that DSSI plugins were not included on any distro, so we included
them and enabled Rosegarden to work with them.

Another good point, maybe, was to "build" light but functional desktops, for
instance: icewm+rox, fluxbox+rox; but you can use KDE out of the box if you
want to.

Also, I think Free Software gives us some power, the power of the freedom, the
ethics, the total control of our hardware, so Musix is 100% free as in
freedom. Including and using non free software into our distros, would make
us weak, and we would miss the point: why did the Free Software movement
started on 1984? To replace all the non-free software.

Now Musix 1.0 derivates from Debian/Stable and Knoppix (so it's really stable)
and it is still using only one CD (live-cd), but we have both Ardour 0.99.3,
and Ardour 2.0.5, jackd 0.103, rosegarden 1.5.1, many DSSI plugins,
musix-freepats-extras, and many other packages are being incorporated to our
repositories (clam, horgand, kdenlive, campcaster, wired, rivendell,
sonic-visualiser, lmms 0.3, qjackctl_0.3.1a, linux-image-2.6.22.1-rt4, etc.).

In some weeks we will have a Live-DVD too, supporting all languages and with
plenty of more software, etc.

We have a roadmap (to be translated soon), and we will follow the Debian's
ways (releasing testing versions soon), but upgrading some packages into the
Musix's stable version to be compatible with debian/stable releases, so you
can have an stable and updated system.

--
     `&'
      #    Marcos Guglielmetti, co-director de

"¡Ya cállate, cállate, cállate que me desespeeeeras!"

http://es.wikiquote.org/wiki/El_Chavo_del_Ocho