[Musix-usuarios] Re: [Musix-users] WiFi in Musix?

Marcos Guglielmetti marcospcmusica en gmail.com
Jue Jun 14 21:30:41 CEST 2007

El Jueves, 14 de Junio de 2007 23:01, Jerry Jai escribió:
 | First of all, thanks to everyone who has worked on the
 | Musix project -- it appears to have everything someone
 | would need to start making music on thier computer --
 | I'm really impressed.

Thanks you... it appears :-) Really... hehehe

Welcome

 | I'm fairly new to Linux (experimented a couple years
 | ago but didn't get far).  So far, I've been been able
 | (mostly) to figure out how to install Musix and get it
 | running -

Fine!, I am glad you could did it.-

 | but I'm having troubles fine tuning it.

Ok, we will see

 | One problem I'm running into is with getting WiFi to
 | work.  Musix doesn't seem to recognize my USB wifi
 | adapter.  (It's a DLink DWL-120 with Atmel chipset.)

I see something here:

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Linux.Wireless.drivers.802.11b.html

"Atmel changed their mind and eventually released the driver as full source
GPL"

So the dirver is free software as in freedom, that's good.

"The package from Atmel include specific configuration tools (command line and
X-Window). Just after the driver was GPL'ed, the support for Wireless
Extensions was fixed and greatly enhanced by Ron (Wireless Tools can now be
used to configure the card). Lately, Atmel has improved and enhanced the USB
driver, but also removed support for Intersil radio, so you will need to use
older version of the driver for products using Intersil radio. On the other
hand, the Pcmcia driver seems to be still based on an older version of the
code.

Lately, the driver has gained support for kernel 2.6.X, better support for
Wireless Extensions and support for WPA."

 | I tried installing the Berlios Atmel drivers
 | (http://at76c503a.berlios.de/)

See this URL too:
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Linux.Wireless.drivers.802.11b.html

 | after executing
 | "restore-dev.sh" and "apt-get install
 | linux-headers-2.6.21 linux-source-2.6.21"
 |
 | However, I can't seem to make the driver without
 | errors.  The driver make routine can't find the kernel
 | "/build" directory.

MM... I think there is a problem into Musix

ls -lah /usr/include/

Is /usr/src/linux/ pointing to the right place (to the kernel sources)?

Also, check:

ls -lah /usr/bin/gcc

 | When I go to look for the kernel source, I can't find
 | it manually, either.  When I go to where I think the
 | kernel is (/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.21) and type
 | "make menuconfig" it just gives me an error and boots
 | me back to the prompt.

 | I tried ndiswrapper, but couldn't get that
 | work either.  That's when I realized that the wifi
 | adapter isn't being recognized when I hotplug it.
 | (When I plug it in, I hear the hard drive spin for a
 | second, but when I do a lsmod, the card doesn't show
 | up.)
 |

 | Also, perhaps it's unrelated, but when I boot up, the
 | boot hangs on a udev error for a long time (2-3
 | minutes) before the boot continues.  This happens
 | right after the system is autoconfiguring hardware.
 |
 | FYI, I did a "beginner" HD install.
 |
 | Again, I'm a real Linux newbie, so if I'm saying
 | things that don't make sense, it's probably because I
 | don't know what I'm talking about!

I think you are a very clever "newbie". I will tell you something, I did not
did any build job into Musix since a year or so, because another
collaborators are taking these tasks, so I will ask them for help now.

Another subject. I am not sure that this WiFi hardware could work with free
software, maybe you could need a non-free firmware, in that case we should
ask for help to build a free firmware. In the meantime, you can do anything
you want with Musix.

 | Thanks in advance!

I hope that "Daniel Vidal Chornet" <vidal_dan en hotmail.com> or "Jose A.
Gonzalez" <joseangon46 en yahoo.es> could help us.

Regards,

     `&'
      #    Marcos Guglielmetti, co-director de
      #   Musix GNU+Linux, 100% Software Libre para artistas
     _#_       http://www.musix.org.ar
     (#)
    / O \    + archivos: ftp://musix.ourproject.org/pub/musix
   ( === )   Ecología: http://autosus.wordpress.com
    `---'    Personal: http://marcospcmusica.wordpress.com

¡OH! Inmortal es el grito sagrado: libertad, libertad, libertad!
(Primeras palabras del Himno Nacional Argentino...)