[Musix-usuarios] Campaña de mails por firmware libre para dispositivos M-Audio Midisport

Marcos Guglielmetti marcospcmusica en gmail.com
Dom Jun 25 15:47:22 CEST 2006

El Domingo, 25 de Junio de 2006 10:36, Jorge Salgueiro escribió:
> yo no la necesito pero es un muy buen trabajo marcos! Ahora todos a
> escribir a m-audio pediendo firmware libre!!!

Exactamente, sería interesante que reclamáramos masivamente este firmware pero
que sea GPL. Solicitamos su colaboración!

mails a:

info en m-audio.com

Modelo del mail a tomar como referencia (cambiarlo y ajustarlo a sus
particularidades!):

Dear M-audio Management,

I'm a Midisport 4x4 owner and I'm trying to get it working on a linux
Live CD named MUSIX (A complete OS + all the software to make music
that can run from CD instead of a Harddisk) http://www.musix.org.ar/

The Musix distro is based on GNU GPL and thus it impossible for them
to include the midisport 4x4 firmware on their CD.

Now, since i bought a midisport 4x4 i find it a bit strange that i
cant use a perfectly fine tool because of a simple issue like this. I
now own the hardware, but may not use it because of a licence issue.
Is there a way to make the firmware available, and open a bigger
market for your products, by making it possible to distribute it? Or
eventually make it possible for the linux users to build their own
firmware? I'm very disappointed that I'm not able to use the product
that i now OWN. (i paid a lot of money for it)

I know it is possible to get the interface working under linux when
the drivers and firmware are installed and configured on a harddisk.
But in case of a live CD distro then the current licence forbids it to
distribute the firmware.

A live CD distro makes it possible to travel with a CD and some basic
gear (like a midisport) and work on any PC available at the time as
long as it has a CD drive, USB, and CPU with sufficient power to run
the software.  ...Less gear to carry around.

And on top of all this, what is the problem with distributing firmware
files in this case?
The firmware is only usable on the hardware, and thus those people
need to be your customers after all.

Please give it some thought.

I'll be glad to help and find the right people to get this working.

Kind Regards,

--
Marcos Guglielmetti
* Director del desarrollo de Musix GNU+Linux, 100% Software Libre