[Musix-usuarios] Re: [Musix-users] USB Midisport (license doubt)

Marcos Guglielmetti marcospcmusica en gmail.com
Mie Jun 21 23:19:35 CEST 2006

El Martes, 20 de Junio de 2006 19:56, Richard Stallman escribió:
> Please note that I have absolutely no idea what program you're talking
> about, or what job it does.  Your message mentions names such as
> Demudi and Midisport without telling me what they are.  The previous
> messages are buried inside each other in a way that is very hard to
> understand.
>
> All I understand is the following license:
>
>     "The firmware files (*.ihx) are copyrighted by Midiman, and can be used
>     and redistributed only as part of this package.
>
> That is not free.

Ok, so that's a fact, sadly.

> Which package includes these files?

midisport-firmware-1.2.tar.gz

http://usb-midi-fw.sourceforge.net/

It's not into Debian, because it's not free, I think.

From: README

"What's this?
------------

This package allows you to use the MidiSport USB MIDI interfaces from
M-Audio/Midiman with Linux. It sets up udev rules to automatically load
the firmware into the device."

> What is Midiman?

It's the enterprise that makes this USB Musical Instrument Digital Interface
(MIDI) devices.

> Is there any chance we could convince Midiman
> to change this policy?

Well... we must try:

"
Supported devices:
- MidiSport 1x1
- MidiSport 2x2
- MidiSport 4x4
- MidiSport 8x8
- MidiSport Uno
- Keystation
- Oxygen
- Radium

(You don't need a firmware download for the USB Audio Quattro, Duo, or
MidiSport 2x4.)

The project page is <http://usb-midi-fw.sourceforge.net/>.
"

So, thare are some devices that already works without the non-free firmware.

Package contact:

"Contact
-------

For help, discussion or feedback, send a mail to the mailing list at
<usb-midi-fw-user en lists.sourceforge.net>.

written by Clemens Ladisch <clemens en ladisch.de>"

What should we do?

--
Marcos Guglielmetti
* Director del desarrollo de Musix GNU+Linux, 100% Software Libre