[Musix-users] Repositories updated

Ariel Errera mandame.spam.aca at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 17:13:59 CET 2011

Hi Jerzy:

As it is not an official release we haven't provided much info on the
new testing version.

Installation goes like this:

Insert your usb drive and then as root type:

fdisk -l

This will list all your drives including your flash drive. Take note
of which partition it has been mounted in. Unmount the drive:

umount /dev/sd*

Replace sd* with the partition where the usb was mounted. It is very
important to have the correct partition here to avoid formating other
drive. In my pc for example, usb usually mounts automatically at
/dev/sdg so it is difficult to confuse because hard drives are mounted
at /dev/sda and /dev/sdb

Then, copy the iso (also as root):

 dd if=nameoftheisofie.iso of=/dev/sd*

This will erase previous data of your flash drive. Of course, replace
nameoftheiso.iso with the name of the image and sd* with your device.

Another important thing is that Hybrid images do not have support for
persistent mode. I might say this is by definition. Neither Debian's
hybrid images have support for it.
On the other hand, usb-only images have this support but you should
make an extra partition and boot with the "persistent" flag.

There is a tutorial on musix's wiki about usb images:

http://www.musix.org.ar/wiki/index.php?title=Musix2.0-USB-usage

Regarding future versions of Musix, there are plans for making usb
images and even a low-size cd version.

Please, tell us if you need more help.

Regards,
Ariel.