[Musix-users] Please contribute to the Debian Multimedia Team!

Grammostola Rosea rosea.grammostola at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 10:44:35 CET 2009

marcos wrote:
> El Domingo, 8 de Marzo de 2009 16:58, Grammostola Rosea escribió:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I noticed that you have some packages in your repo, which are not in
>> Debian itself.
>>

> Sure
>

>> My first question is: where can I find the *.dsc files of the packages?
>>

> Into the bz2 or gz packages
>
> ftp://musix.ourproject.org/pub/musix/deb/sources/
>

>> The next thing why I mail you is because it would be great and better if
>> those packages are also in Debian. Why don't you upload the packages to
>> Debian and join the Debian Multimedia Team for package building?
>>

> Well, sometimes we just make a backport and Debian will not accept it, but I
> am mailing the collaborators mailing list
>
> musix-colaborad at lists.ourproject.org so anyone could get in touch with you
>
> Grammostola Rosea <rosea.grammostola at gmail.com>
>
> I also was at Debcon8 Mar del Plata, Argentina (I live at Buenos Aires, 400
> kmts from there), and I was filming and talking with Debian activists and
> mainteirners. Someone from El Salvador or Ecuador (I dont remember) asked me
> those questions you are making now
>
> He stayed at the #musix channel on freenode.net for a while, and he wanted to
> see our comunity, etc., and he used to think that Musix was only a few more
> packages added to a custom debian
>
> That's allways the error from "debian people": you have to know what is the
> people's need to make some art, for instance, music.

Yeah, I'm more a musician then a Debian man too ;)
And there are a lot of packages which are not in Debian yet.
- LV2
- rakarrack
- guitarix
- Ingen
- whysynth
- frescobaldi
- etc.

This is a pitty...
Also Musix could benefit a lot if more multimedia packages are in Debian
imho...

> I will like to collaborate with Debian, we use Debian (Musix 2.0a is now
> debian live based, ... musix 1.0 was based on knoppix)
>

>> The Debian Multimedia Team needs more people who take care of one
>> package (which you uses a lot) and maintain it. Another big argument is:
>>
>> It will improve:
>>
>> 1) the quality of the packages
>> 2) Musix as a multimedia distro
>> 3) Debian (and derivatives)  for multimedia usage
>> 4) the  state of  Linux audio (multimedia) in general
>>
>> So there are both quality and social arguments for it!
>>

> Sure. I can not maintain a package now, but maybe some Musix's friends could
> help! Pablo Sastre, Ariel Errera, Daniel Vidal, etc.

Would be great. Just pick one (or two) packages which you uses a lot and
which are not in Debian yet and become just a package maintainer. :)

See the weblinks how to join, or mail to
pkg-multimedia-maintainers at lists.alioth.debian.org
after subscribing to it.

>> *Why the Debian Multimedia Team? *
>>
>> 1) Because they want to improve Debian for music production!
>> 2) Debian has an flexible, fast and easy package management
>> 3) A lot of people use Debian (based) distro's, Debian itself, Ubuntu
>> (Studio), 64studio, Sidux, Mepis etc.
>> 4) You will learn to build quality packages
>>

> Good point
>

>> 5) You don't have to become a Debian developer (DD), you can just become
>> and stay a package maintainer.
>>

> Nice
>

>> *What can I do?*
>>
>> 1) Build or improve packages for the Debian Multimedia Team. It's
>> recommended to maintain packages you use yourself often.
>> 2) Report bugs and wishes
>> 3) Join the Debian multimedia team mailing list:
>> pkg-multimedia-maintainers at lists.alioth.debian.org
>>
>> *Where can I find more info?*
>>
>> Wiki:
>> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedia
>>
>> Packaging:
>> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedia/DevelopPackaging
>>
>> Existing packages which needs help:
>> http://wnpp.debian.net/
>>
>> Debian New Maintainers' guide:
>> http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ (!)
>>
>> Bugs:
>> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?which=maint&data=debian-multim
>> edia%40lists.debian.org&archive=no&version=&dist=unstable
>>

>> It would be great if you choose one package which you uses a lot and
>> maintain it for the Debian Multimedia Team! It would improve the quality
>> of Linux audio and it will help the whole community!
>>

>> Kind regards,
>>

> Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I hope you guys will join this! :)

One Artist, one package ;)

\r