[Musix-users] Please contribute to the Debian Multimedia Team!

marcos marcos at ovejafm.com
Mon Mar 9 01:28:55 CET 2009

El Domingo, 8 de Marzo de 2009 16:58, Grammostola Rosea escribió:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed that you have some packages in your repo, which are not in
> Debian itself.

Sure

> My first question is: where can I find the *.dsc files of the packages?

Into the bz2 or gz packages

ftp://musix.ourproject.org/pub/musix/deb/sources/

> The next thing why I mail you is because it would be great and better if
> those packages are also in Debian. Why don't you upload the packages to
> Debian and join the Debian Multimedia Team for package building?

Well, sometimes we just make a backport and Debian will not accept it, but I
am mailing the collaborators mailing list

musix-colaborad at lists.ourproject.org so anyone could get in touch with you

Grammostola Rosea <rosea.grammostola at gmail.com>

I also was at Debcon8 Mar del Plata, Argentina (I live at Buenos Aires, 400
kmts from there), and I was filming and talking with Debian activists and
mainteirners. Someone from El Salvador or Ecuador (I dont remember) asked me
those questions you are making now

He stayed at the #musix channel on freenode.net for a while, and he wanted to
see our comunity, etc., and he used to think that Musix was only a few more
packages added to a custom debian

That's allways the error from "debian people": you have to know what is the
people's need to make some art, for instance, music.

I will like to collaborate with Debian, we use Debian (Musix 2.0a is now
debian live based, ... musix 1.0 was based on knoppix)

> The Debian Multimedia Team needs more people who take care of one
> package (which you uses a lot) and maintain it. Another big argument is:
>
> It will improve:
>
> 1) the quality of the packages
> 2) Musix as a multimedia distro
> 3) Debian (and derivatives)  for multimedia usage
> 4) the  state of  Linux audio (multimedia) in general
>
> So there are both quality and social arguments for it!

Sure. I can not maintain a package now, but maybe some Musix's friends could
help! Pablo Sastre, Ariel Errera, Daniel Vidal, etc.

> *Why the Debian Multimedia Team? *
>
> 1) Because they want to improve Debian for music production!
> 2) Debian has an flexible, fast and easy package management
> 3) A lot of people use Debian (based) distro's, Debian itself, Ubuntu
> (Studio), 64studio, Sidux, Mepis etc.
> 4) You will learn to build quality packages

Good point

> 5) You don't have to become a Debian developer (DD), you can just become
> and stay a package maintainer.

Nice

> *What can I do?*
>
> 1) Build or improve packages for the Debian Multimedia Team. It's
> recommended to maintain packages you use yourself often.
> 2) Report bugs and wishes
> 3) Join the Debian multimedia team mailing list:
> pkg-multimedia-maintainers at lists.alioth.debian.org
>
> *Where can I find more info?*
>
> Wiki:
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedia
>
> Packaging:
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedia/DevelopPackaging
>
> Existing packages which needs help:
> http://wnpp.debian.net/
>
> Debian New Maintainers' guide:
> http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ (!)
>
> Bugs:
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?which=maint&data=debian-multim
>edia%40lists.debian.org&archive=no&version=&dist=unstable
>

> It would be great if you choose one package which you uses a lot and
> maintain it for the Debian Multimedia Team! It would improve the quality
> of Linux audio and it will help the whole community!
>

> Kind regards,

Thanks

Cheers :)

> \r