[Musix-users] Re: Do I run a low-latency and realtime kernel? (new kernel)

julien bodd julien.lociuro at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 00:14:27 CEST 2007

Hi all,

I just installed kernel 2.6.21-rc4 !

Indeed, now I can see FF FF in in jackd ! So my kernel had a problem.
The good point is that I get no xruns any more !
But, the problem is not solved at all :-) The sound saturation is
still there, it is so crap, that it is not playable.
I repeat, this happens only with :
midi keyboard --> midi in to freewheeling -->midi out to zynadd -->
audio out back to freewheeling --> audio out to alsa_pcm

I sent a msg to freewheeling mailing list, and somebody replied me it
is inherent to freewheeling. It has not hard realtime capabilities.
They pointed me to a new project, wich is : http://home.gna.org/zyn/

I noticed that if I keep the above described configuration, except
that I don't play from my midi keyboard but from the integrated visual
keyboard in zynaddsubfx, there is no sound saturation !!!!! So, it
seems zynaddsubfx cannot process fast enough the midi inputs it gets
from freewheeling !

Thank you guys!

Good point is that I now really have a realtime kernel :-)

I'll see what happens with this new project, and keep you informed.

Another solution is if it is possible (I have to ask zynadd mailing
list), is to say, ok..zynaddsubfx just process midi events in the note
range X-->Y, and freewheeling to process midi events in the note range
Y+1 --> Z.
That would avoid freewheeling to filter and pass the midi events it
gets to zynaddsubfx. What do you think?