[Musix-users] [BUG] USB-MIDI not working with realtime-kernels

Marcos Guglielmetti marcospcmusica at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 15:02:26 CET 2006

El Jue 09 Nov 2006 18:11, Jens Gulden escribió:
> Hello
>
> > BTW: is the 2.6.16-beyond4.1 good enough for MIDI work for you?
>
> unfortunately not in my case, but I think this is not a fault of Musix. I'm
> running it on an old notebook which has no hard disk any more. Most Linux
> live-cds with a 2.6-kernel do not boot on that computer at all, the kernel
> usually gets stuck right after loading without outputting a single message.
> I was very happy to see that this does not happen with the
> realtime-2.6-kernels of Musix, until I discovered the USB-MIDI problem...
>
> However, the non-realtime kernel of Musix 0.39 (not yet "beyond4.1") also
> boots fine, which finally allows me to use Musix with a working MIDI
> interface. I like Musix very much, especially since I managed to manually
> compile and install SuperCollider3 from a memory stick. Together with
> SuperCollider, Musix now appears to be a complete playground me.
>
> Thanks for your work,
> Jens

Well, that's fine

did you tied gNewSense distro?

Maybe the future Musix's versions will derivate from it. ¿Could you try it?,
IT derivates from Ubuntu dapper for now...

> [...]
> >>Hello everybody, especially Marcos,
> >>
> >>can you confirm this bug?: Realtime-patches confuse ALSA's USB-MIDI
> >>functionality.
> >>
> >>Using Musix's realtime-kernels, MIDI-events from and to USB-MIDI devices
> >>get not passed between clients when the device is connected inside ALSA's
> >>sequencer API. E.g. using "'device' -> timidity" (connected via aconnect
> >> if available, or qjackctl's midi-connections-tab), the MIDI events seem
> >> to get stuck in an internal buffer:
> >>cat /proc/asound/card2/midi0 ->
> >>
> >>MidiSport 2x2
> >>
> >>Output 0
> >>   Tx bytes     : 0
> >>Output 1
> >>   Tx bytes     : 0
> >>Input 0
> >>   Rx bytes     : 1186
> >>   Buffer size  : 4096
> >>   Avail        : 1186  <--- ### SHOULD BE ZERO, NOT =RX BYTES! ###
> >>   Overruns     : 0
> >>Input 1
> >>   Rx bytes     : 0
> >>
> >>Instead of passing the data further to the connected timidity in this
> >>example, it remains in some kind of receive-buffer. When 4096 is reached,
> >>overruns start to count up. Connections have been set up using qjackctl,
> >>vkeybd->timidity works.
> >>
> >>When outputting MIDI-events, the same behaviour applies to an
> >>output-buffer.
> >>
> >>See also
> >>http://lists.ourproject.org/pipermail/musix-users/2006-October/000366.htm
> >>l.
> >>
> >>However, using the "amidi" tool from the alsa-utils package (can be
> >>compiled from source on Musix), MIDI events show up correctly. The
> >> problem thus might not originate from a device-driver, but probably
> >> somewhere in ALSA's sequencer API. I'm not an ALSA expert, however.
> >> Thanks to Clemens Ladisch for the hint about amidi.
> >>
> >>Booting the non-realtime kernels of the different Musix versions,
> >>everything related to MIDI works fine.
> >>
> >>Tested Musix versions: 0.39, 0.49, 0.50, 0.59 (from cd-rom only, no
> >>hd-install). Tested USB-Hardware:
> >>- M-Audio Midisport 2x2 (on 0.49, 0.50 with added firmware)
> >>- Edirol UM-1 (no firmware needed)
> >>both devices get properly recognized by the system with both types of
> >>kernels (otherwise they couldn't get connected via the midi-connect-tab),
> >>but on realtime-kernels the above problem occurs Tested
> >> Computer-Hardware: - 800 MHz Pentium desktop-PC
> >>- 500 MHz Celeron old notebook
> >>- 1,4 GHz Pentium-M new notebook
> >>
> >>Marcos, can you please add this at
> >>https://www.musix.org.ar/drupal/?q=forum/16 if it confirms to be a bug?
> >> (I don't know if the bug list is actually in use...)
> >>
> >>Thanks for the work on Musix,
> >>Jens
> >
> > Thanks you, Bug reported into the forum.
> >
> > Hey: maybve that's a problem with the 2.6.15.x kernels, so, we will have
> > to wait our kernel hacker to build anotherone.
> >
> > BTW: is the 2.6.16-beyond4.1 good enough for MIDI work for you?

Marcos Guglielmetti
* Director del desarrollo de Musix GNU+Linux, 100% Software Libre
* CD Donwload: (http://www.musix.org.ar/en/)
* Videos, programas y otras cosas en: ftp://musix.ourproject.org/pub/musix/
* Reporte de errores a:
https://www.musix.org.ar/wiki/index.php?title=Problemas-Bugs
*IRC: #musix channel on freenode
* Torrent Download: