[Musix-users] Hello list!

Marcos Guglielmetti Gmail marcospcmusica at gmail.com
Thu May 18 16:09:49 CEST 2006

El Jueves, 18 de Mayo de 2006 20:37, Sean Edwards escribió:
> Marcus,
>
> Thank you for the reply.  I am an experienced user.  I
> am a Linux/AIX/Solaris Admin, and even use Linux on my
> desktop at work. I have not worked with Windows
> professionally for almost 5 years now.  I have used
> Linux on my home desktop since 1997, and that system
> has been  Debian Testing since 2002.

:S sorry

> It's not a matter of ability, it is a matter of time.
> I did build something comparable to Musix with just
> Debian and Debian packages, but I found the Musix
> distribution to be smaller and run better than what I
> built.

That's maybe because we test almost everything related to audio

> I don't have time to optimize my Debian
> system, recompile packages, resolve build errors ...

Sure

> When I go to update Musix 0.31 to 0.3x (sorry for
> version errors in the previous message), I receive
> warning messages about things to be deleted.  I don't
> have the list with me right now, but I do remember
> wanting to keep some of the things to be deleted,
> which will then have me chasing down new packages with
> version conflicts . . .

Using debian/testing as Musix does give us these kind of problems,
that's because I want to make an stable version 1.0 from debian/etch

> Musix is based on Knoppix, but I was wondering if it
> were possible for the Musix project to isolate the
> music and audio packages more, and rely less on
> Knoppix for the dependencies and prerequisite
> requirements.

Well... now we are not based on knoppix to make the upgrade... Knoppix
has a few packages to be upgraded... hwdata, hwsetup and some scripts,
but the main packages comes from debian/testing, so you need just to
upgrade from there.

> This way, it may be easier to apt-get
> or synaptic a specific collection of packages and
> versions i.e. Musix 0.39.

Sure... this only could be made with more human work related to Musix:
now we cant do that, that's why I want to make the future Musix
stable/etch, but there will be a "testing" bleeding edge version too,
forever, that's my idea, what do you think?  And maybe some day we
could make a more easy upgrade... but the users often has many problems
with apt-get upgrade from testing/unstable because the package
dependencies, so maybe it would be better to upgrade all the system
from a live-cd install, just like today.

> 'apt-get install musix_0.39' would be nice.

Sure: but tooo much development work too!

It's too uncomfortable to install Musix 0.39? I suggest you wait till
0.40 to be released in a few weeks...

Sorry about my pathetic english!