[Musix-users] FW: > That is not free.

MNO manostienen at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 06:16:52 CEST 2006

On 6/21/06, Marcos Guglielmetti <marcospcmusica at gmail.com> wrote:
> El Miércoles, 21 de Junio de 2006 15:32, MNO escribió:
> > Hmmm, now i don't understand why ALSA (who is under GNU GPL) can say
> > on their site that the Midiman products are supported...  (and same
> > with the Echo Audio Gina...)
> >
 > It realy would be nice if this issue was a bit clearer. So that people
> > know what to buy... and what NOT. Hardware is essential, and i hope
> > Richard Stallman can convince them of the fact that they have a bigger
> > market if they also can sell hardware to 'GNULUX' users. :-)
> >
> > (i just invented a new word!!!)
>
> Fowarded to RMS

:-)  i want to get a GNU licence for that word!

> > BTW, how is this with other hardware like RME?   Is their firmware
> > redistributable?
>
> Yes:
>
> apt-cache show alsa-firmware-loaders
> Package: alsa-firmware-loaders
> Section: contrib/sound
> Installed-Size: 212
> Maintainer: Mikael Magnusson <mikma at users.sourceforge.net>
> Architecture: i386
> Source: alsa-tools
> Version: 1.0.9rc3-0.demudi1
> Depends: libasound2 (>> 1.0.8), libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-21)
> Conffiles:
>  /etc/hotplug/usb/tascam_fw.usermap 1ca0da7c40ccb70d771c8ba6fd788406
>  /etc/hotplug/usb/tascam_fw 5fd0ca2efb9077554d9bf44c98226b28
>  /etc/hotplug/usb/tascam_fpga 8b6058e0372750914de51ff78dbe23b1
>  cspctl - Sound Blaster 16 ASP/CSP control program
>
>  hdsploader - Firmware loader for the RME Hammerfall DSP cards
>
>  mixartloader - Firmware loader for Digigram's miXart board sound drivers
>  pcxhrloader - Firmware loader for Digigram pcxhr compatible soundcards
>  sscape_ctl - SoundScape control utility and firmware loader
>  usx2yloader - Firmware loader for Tascam USX2Y USB soundcards
>  vxloader - Firmware loader for Digigram VX soundcards

I SEEEEE ... hope i can find a used one. but until then i'll first try
to get GINA24 at work.

> > And what if 'we' start building our own USB-MIDI
> > hardware with a firmware under GNU licence?
>
> How?

I see already mention the existence of hardware under GNU. Then best
not to re-invent the wheel... (it might be a good idea to start a list
on the website that contains all the GNU GPL hardware)

> > Still this would be about the same thing, right?
>
> No: if you build your hardware, you could make it GNU GPL, in an easy way!

What about doing the same thing to MIDI hardware as what they do to
routers like Linksys...  And build new firmware... The old Roland MKS
and D series synths also have alternative firmware available in the
form of a EPROM. Replacing a firmware for USB devices is just flashing
it into the flashrom i hope someone with knowledge on that matter will
give it a try. You can forget about warranty then, but noone can
forbid us to upgrade hardware that we own. Just like putting new tires
on a car if the old are worn down...

> > .... I'm stuck...  Should i ditch my hardware, and if i do then what
> > to buy? (and can i affort it)
>
> The hardware will work with the firmware, but Musix could not deliver this
> midisport midiman package yet, until it could be free-softwar. We dont forbid
> you to use your hardware.
>
> But you can buy a 100% compatible (and GNU GPL) USB MIDI hardware too.

I know you don't forbid, but i'm still puzzled how ALSA (under GNU)
can say they support something if they dont seem to suppurt it 100%.
It's like ofeering a kid a chocolate cookie without any cocolate...
:-)  but you helped me just fine to understand things so far...  I'm
off to the ALSA hq to find out more.

> > Or is that to radical, since ALSA is telling me that they support it.
>
> Well, we will see.

yup.... i'll let it rest here for now and hope to be able to come back
on topic with good news from the ASLA corner.

Mano.