[Musix-users] Re: Musix 0.50

Marcos Guglielmetti marcospcmusica at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 15:14:39 CEST 2006

Hola Richard Brayshaw:
      > Greetings Marcos
      >
      > Ooops!  I sent an email to you by mistake which was meant for someone
      > else!  Oh well, no harm done, I hope.
      >
      > Anyway...
      >
      > Re: Musix 0.50
      >
      > Thanks for the info.  I've currently got Demudi installed on a 2nd
      > drive of a rather vintage PentiumIII.  Not much is working, but I've
      > had very little time to work on it as yet.  I'm a complete newbie, so
      > I'm still getting used to Linux.  I've got Windows 98 SE on the first
      > drive and Demudi on the second.  Ideally, I'd like to convert totally
      > to a Debian-based system (no Windows), and use the second drive for
      > music recording only, for which I plan to install a much bigger
      > drive.
      >
      > My specs are as follows:
      >
      > CPU upgraded to PentiumIII (450 MHz) with pre-2000 machine and mobo
      > 192 MB RAM, but I plan to upgrade to 384 MB soon
      > (mobo has 3 slots which only seem to read a max of 128 MB dbl-sided
      > RAM per slot) two 5 GB hard drives
      > Sound Blaster Live! Platinum card

Low CPU specs, but, it depends on what are you trying to do.. could you change
the CPU?

      > Questions:
      >
      > How does Musix differ to Demudi?

It's more up to date, and it's easier for newbies, it's a live-cd but can
update old musix or knoppix HD installations (aldo Debian/etch installations)

      > Do you think my system (with the extra RAM etc) is capable of running
      > either Musix or Demudi without major latency issues?

Mmm.... I dont know, I have an AMD 450mhz with 128mb RAM... but it's difficult
to make JACK's music there... you can use things like audacity or rezound
fine, but, Ardour, Rosegarden & softsynths... well, you have something good:
a Sound Blaster card can load soundfonts into it, so you could use it's
potential: yes that would be a good way... also hydrogen could be fine alone,
used with not too big drumkits... zynaddsubfx could be fine, but almos
without realtime efects...

But you can sequence into Rosegarden using you SB soundfonts and the memory
and process power from the SB, and then you could save each track into
audacity or, just think what could you do... but it would be better with, at
least, a 600mhz cpu

      > I'm really not looking for a huge 32 track studio, with hundreds of
      > plug-ins and other fancy stuff.  All I need is 8 or 16 tracks for
      > recording and mixing analog and MIDI, to produce good quality home
      > recordings.

MIDI? if you refer to your .sf2 soundfonts into your SB card, it could be
done , yes, analog takes... mmm, try ardour into Musix (with a realtime
kernel), but I think audacity will do it better for this low CPU

RAM helps, yes, its avoid xruns... but dont spect use JACK with low latency,
you will have to use it with 80ms latency or more.

      > Thanking you in advance

Try it, and tell us , thanks

--
Marcos Guglielmetti
* Director del desarrollo de Musix GNU+Linux, 100% Software Libre