[Musix-users] hello i remaster the musix 0.26 to include the new ardour build and dssi-vst :P

vcvz vcxzv gaystimpy at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 8 02:36:04 CEST 2005

hello i followed a tutorial on remastering the knoppix cd from

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13867

It was not too bad almost like updating a linux install except for these
steps.

I installed a new ardour build .deb package and dssi-vst and wine

i can trigger and hear crystal.dll and the new ardour starts up.

only problem is that on my ccrma the rosegarden could use the dssi-vst but
on the musix i can't get rosegarden to see the dssi-vst. I guess i have to
investigate more.

but i had to use the same steps i used to get vst working on ccrma.

i used this package for ardour

http://gorfou.fr/site/CVS-Build-for-Ardour-debian.html

then i apt-get install wine   to install wine

then i used this package for dssi-vst

http://willem.engen.nl/debian/dists/sarge/dssi/binary-i386/dssi0.9-plugin-vst_0.3.1-2_i386.deb

wget
http://willem.engen.nl/debian/dists/sarge/dssi/binary-i386/dssi0.9-plugin-vst_0.3.1-2_i386.deb

change to the folder it downloaded to and

dpkg -i dssi0.9-plugin-vst_0.3.1-2_i386.deb

or i used kpackage to find the download and installed it thru kpackage.

after you install wine and dssi-vst it needs looks for vst dll in certain
folders one of which is a folder called vst in the root home directory.
like /home/root/vst
if your dlls are in another folder you have to set a VST_PATH for it

export VST_PATH=/path/to/folder/of/vsti/dlls

then you have to run updatedb
then run locate dssi-vst-scanner
you will have to run this scanner with full path from the command prompt

/full/path/to/dssi-vst-scanner

what happens next is it uses wine to initialize the vst dll in the VST_PATH
that it finds. you might get a wine popup about it being experimental or
something.
after it finishes scanning you
start qjackctrl
then at the prompt run
vsthost "Crystal.dll"     (p.s. crystall.dll is a free synth vsti that seems
to be the one to test vst capability with on other linux vst pages)

you will see maybe a wine window popup then if all goes well the gui of
crystall pops up
now you will see the audio and midi connection in qjackctrl for crystal

i start the virtual midi keyboard and connect it to crystal in qjackctrl,
make sure my volumes in alsamixer is unmuted and turned up and trigger
crystall via the virtual midi keyboard.

if all goes well you will hear sound and vst is working.

to run other vst do
vsthost "vstname.dll"  and this makes it run as a jack client
i have tried alot of free ones with success like voxengo, kjerhaus,
blockfish plugs
check www.kvr-vst.com for all things vst

now rosegarden is a dssi reader so it can read dss-vst but on this remaster
i did it didn't show up in rosegarden  like it did on my ccrma install.
like vst will show up alongside all the ladspa plugins too.

anyway i guess i have to tweak some things.

also the whole thing with the demudi not having echo alsa drivers is a pain
and i have to figure that out.

i found a tut on the knoppix forum about custom kernels so that might could
be how to have the cd boot to the multimedia kernels with soundcard support
and the patches in the kernel for audio work.

and to tell you how good dssi-vst works, on my ccrma install i got guitar
rig working and played it with very low buffers almost realtime and sounded
awesome.  i think lots of native instruments vst work.  main thing is the
wine version i think.

well i'm off. anyquestions just post here.  by the way you should be able to
do the above upgrades while booted off livecd or definitely on a harddrive
install.