[Mostoleswifi-opina] cruel blow

Lista de Correo MostolesWiFi.com mostoleswifi-opina en lists.ourproject.org
Vie Mar 19 23:23:00 CET 2010

E; just as at Issoudun, he
had copied the respectability of Mignonnet. He had,
moreover, a fine establishment

and gave fetes and dinners; admitting none of his old friends to his house if he thought their position in life likely to compromise his future.
He was pitiless to the companions of his former debauches, and curtly refused Bixiou when that lively satirist asked him to say a word in favor of Giroudeau, who wanted to re-enter
the army after the desertion of Florentine. "The man has neither manners nor morals," said Philippe. "Ha! did he say that of me?" cried
Giroudeau, "of me, who helped him to

get rid of his uncle!"
"We'll pay him off yet," said Bixiou. Philippe intended to marry Mademoiselle Amelie de Soulanges, and become a general, in command
of a regiment of the Royal Guard. He asked so many favors that, to keep
him quiet, they made him a Commander of the Legion of honor, and also Commander of the
order of Saint Louis. One rainy evening, as Agathe and Joseph were returning

home along the muddy streets, they met Philippe in full
uniform, bedizened with orders, leaning back in a corner of
a handsome coupe lined with yellow
silk, whose armorial bearings were surmounted with a count's coronet. He was on his way to a fete at the Elysee-Bourbon; the wheels splashed
his mother and brother as he waved them a patronizing greeting. "He's going it, that fellow!" said Joseph to his mother. "Nevertheless, he might send us something better than mud in our faces." "He has such a fine position,

in such high society,
that we ought not to blame him for forgetting us," said Madame Bridau. "When a man rises to so great a height, he has many obligations to repay, many sacrifices to make; it is natural he should not come to see us, though he may

think of us all the same." "My dear fellow," said the Duc de Maufrig