[kune-devel] [Kune's installation] INSTALL instructions for DB creation and Developer's Guide issues

Roberto Aragón robarago at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 17:17:48 CEST 2011

El Thu, 01 Sep 2011 12:07:42 +0200
"Vicente J. Ruiz Jurado" <vjrj en ourproject.org> escribió:
> First of all, greeeeeat feedback. I usually ask for this kind of
> comments about the INSTALL and the DEV_GUIDE (but without to much
> success).
I would have preferred to make an installation for development log
which I think is better feedback, but I think the guide is 90%
accurate an followable for an experienced developer (maybe a separated
INSTALL file for users and DEV-INSTALL for devs would be a plus).

> El 01/09/11 11:36, Roberto Aragón escribió:
> > Hello everybody:
> >
> > I would like to propose to add some kind of explanation in
> > kune/INSTALL file concerning database passwords. This file says
> > that database passwords must be changed to something different than
> > the placeholder text "PUT_HERE_A_DB_PASSWD". This is the right
> > thing (since passwords are a very sensitive security concern), but
> > no warning exists explaining that database password must match the
> > one in all these files in order to start kune successfully:
> >
> >  - src/main/resources/db/liquibase.properties
> >  - src/main/resources/META-INF/persistence.xml
> >  - script/liquibase-migrate.sh
> >  - script/liquibase-rollback.sh
> >  - pom.xml
> >  - src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/publicspace/config/database.yml
>
> Can you send us a INSTALL/DEV_GUIDE patch with this kind of things?
Sure, please, see my proposal of patch attached.

> > So, shouldn't be the best (insecure) way to create the database to
> > use the default ("db4kune") password?
>
> For dev purposes, to use db4kune is the easiest way right now (also
> thinking in SVN commits).
>
> For production, I'm working with the generation of one jar and to get
> all the properties/configuration files as parameters. The ideal for me
> will be to generate a debian package, but I have no experience
> packaging java applications currently (in the pom.xml we started to
> test the deb-maven-plugin to help with this but is not finished).
I agree with you. Security in development instalation could be lowered
if we warn enough, so I prefer to have a quick and dirty installation
working if I know I should change passwords when I'm going into
production phase.

> > Also, I found some problems with these project
> > settings/dependencies:
> >
> >  - .project and .classpath are included in SVN repo, but Developer's
> >    Guide asks to generate this by making "mvn eclipse:eclipse".
> >    Couldn't be this a little contradictory/dangerous?
>
> maybe this should be in the DEV_GUIDE.
OK. Please, see proposal.

> Because to install Kune currently it's a job! take into account that
> issue 113 only need to import the /intro/ project (a different and
> simplest project than the one in /trunk/) in eclipse.
> http://kune.ourproject.org/issues/ticket/113
I know, I know. But started to install Kune before accepting #113,
sorry.

> >  - AspectJ nature is not needed but included in SVN's ".project"
> > file. Is there a good reason for this?
>
> Mmmmm, since .project is generated from our pom.xml I don't remember
> who add this. Maybe guice:
Never mind very much, because you could always rely on the project
definition files comming from SVN repository, isn't it? It seems that
that version is OK.

> $ mvn dependency:tree
> (...)
> [INFO] [dependency:tree {execution: default-cli}]
> (...)
> [INFO] +- com.google.inject:guice:jar:3.0:compile
> [INFO] |  +- javax.inject:javax.inject:jar:1:compile
> [INFO] |  \- aopalliance:aopalliance:jar:1.0:compile
>
> > Thank you very much for your time, and please don't take this as an
> > urgent task, lets come back from holidays at a slooooow pace ;-)
>
> Thank you indeed for your feedback.
Thank you too.

> Bests,
>
> Vicente