[kune-devel] [Kune's installation] INSTALL instructions for DB creation and Developer's Guide issues

Vicente J. Ruiz Jurado vjrj at ourproject.org
Thu Sep 1 12:07:42 CEST 2011

First of all, greeeeeat feedback. I usually ask for this kind of
comments about the INSTALL and the DEV_GUIDE (but without to much success).

El 01/09/11 11:36, Roberto Aragón escribió:
> Hello everybody:
>
> I would like to propose to add some kind of explanation in kune/INSTALL
> file concerning database passwords. This file says that database
> passwords must be changed to something different than the placeholder
> text "PUT_HERE_A_DB_PASSWD". This is the right thing (since passwords
> are a very sensitive security concern), but no warning exists
> explaining that database password must match the one in all these files
> in order to start kune successfully:
>
>  - src/main/resources/db/liquibase.properties
>  - src/main/resources/META-INF/persistence.xml
>  - script/liquibase-migrate.sh
>  - script/liquibase-rollback.sh
>  - pom.xml
>  - src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/publicspace/config/database.yml

Can you send us a INSTALL/DEV_GUIDE patch with this kind of things?

> So, shouldn't be the best (insecure) way to create the database to use
> the default ("db4kune") password?

For dev purposes, to use db4kune is the easiest way right now (also
thinking in SVN commits).

For production, I'm working with the generation of one jar and to get
all the properties/configuration files as parameters. The ideal for me
will be to generate a debian package, but I have no experience packaging
java applications currently (in the pom.xml we started to test the
deb-maven-plugin to help with this but is not finished).

> Also, I found some problems with these project settings/dependencies:
>
>  - .project and .classpath are included in SVN repo, but Developer's
>    Guide asks to generate this by making "mvn eclipse:eclipse".
>    Couldn't be this a little contradictory/dangerous?

maybe this should be in the DEV_GUIDE.

Because to install Kune currently it's a job! take into account that
issue 113 only need to import the /intro/ project (a different and
simplest project than the one in /trunk/) in eclipse.
http://kune.ourproject.org/issues/ticket/113

>  - AspectJ nature is not needed but included in SVN's ".project" file.
>    Is there a good reason for this?

Mmmmm, since .project is generated from our pom.xml I don't remember who
add this. Maybe guice:

$ mvn dependency:tree
(...)
[INFO] [dependency:tree {execution: default-cli}]
(...)
[INFO] +- com.google.inject:guice:jar:3.0:compile
[INFO] |  +- javax.inject:javax.inject:jar:1:compile
[INFO] |  \- aopalliance:aopalliance:jar:1.0:compile

> Thank you very much for your time, and please don't take this as an
> urgent task, lets come back from holidays at a slooooow pace ;-)

Thank you indeed for your feedback.

Bests,

Vicente