[JoPP-Public] Future of Journal of Peer Production

Dariusz Jemielniak darekj at kozminski.edu.pl
Sat Sep 30 09:44:24 CEST 2017

hi,

I think that archiving and good Google Scholar exposure should be a
priority. It could be useful also to think of a plan to get recognition on
the recommended journals lists - such as the ABE, and eventually aim for
the JCR (possible, with proper planning).

In Poland, pretty much as in many other countries now, we have an acute
case of *pointitis, *that is focusing only on bibliometric measures, impact
factor, points, and lists. As such, anything I publish outside of the
glorified JCR list is not recognized as academic production for my
university (well, a book with a prestigious publisher will not be frowned
upon... yet).

Perhaps less is more? I think it could make perfect sense to have fewer
issues by design. Also, partnering with some conference (or starting one
up) is often a useful strategy for getting more submissions.

Regarding a transfer to a publisher - we could pitch to EBSCO or Emerald,
but this would mean losing the open access or paying them North of 15k USD
per year, at the very least.

just my two cents...

best,

dj

On Sat, Sep 30, 2017 at 2:07 AM, Mathieu ONeil <mathieu.oneil at anu.edu.au>
wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I wrote to this list a few months ago about the fact that we had no
> releases planned beyond April 2018. There was no response. If we do not
> organise a CFP now there is no chance of releasing in the second half of
> 2018. It's probably too late already. But, we still need to look ahead, and
> decide what to do about this journal.
>
> To help focus discussion and responsibility below this message you will
> find:
> - a breakdown of the current editorial team [and the issues they edited or
> co-edited]
> - all JoPP issues with their editors
>
> I think we need to address the following questions:
>
> 1. Do we need to organise some form of archiving of the Journal of Peer
> Production? If yes, how and where?
>
> 2. Do we need to devise new ways to come up with new themes for
> issues (conferences, debates, co-productions...)?
>
> 3. If members of the editorial team who have not edited issues for several
> (?) years are not proposing new issues, should they be on the team? If no, do
> we need to get new people on the team? Who?
>
> 4. If no-one steps up to propose new themes for issues should we plan to
> pause, or end, the Journal of Peer Production?
>
> cheers,
> Mathieu
>
> PS. If anyone wants to propose something, I am open to discussion. I am
> interested in topics such as UBI and others outlined in this piece:
> http://peerproduction.net/issues/issue-10-peer-
> production-and-work/now-the-commons/
>
> PPS. An immediate solution could  be to issue a call for an "OPEN" issue
> of JoPP: any aspect of P2P. Using "varia" subs? Still needs editors...
>
> JoPP editorial team:
> Maxigas [5]
> Mathieu O’Neil [0,1,10 + maintainer]
> Johan Söderberg [2,9]
> Maurizio Teli [3]
> Sophie Toupin [8]
> Nathaniel Tkacz [5] has resigned but was not removed from list b/c inertia
> Sara Tocchetti
> Peter Troxler [5 + sysadmin]
>
> JoPP issues with issue eds:
> ISSUE 00  MASS PEER ACTIVISM. JULY 2011 Mathieu
> ISSUE 01  PRODUCTIVE NEGATION. JULY 2012 Mathieu
> ISSUE 02  BIO/HARDWARE HACKING. JULY 2012 Johan, Alessandro
> ISSUE 03  CRITICAL POWER OF FREE SOFTWARE. JULY 2013 Maurizio, Vincenzo
> ISSUE 04  VALUE AND CURRENCY. JANUARY 2014 Nate, Nicholas M, Francesca
> ISSUE 05  SHARED MACHINE SHOPS. JULY 2014 Maxigas, Peter
> ISSUE 06  DISRUPTION AND THE LAW. JANUARY 2015 Angela, Steve
> ISSUE 07  POLICIES FOR THE COMMONS. JULY 2015 George, Vasilis
> ISSUE 08  FEMINISM AND (UN)HACKING. JANUARY 2016 Sophie, Shaowen, Lilly
> ISSUE 09  ALTERNATIVE INTERNETS. SEPTEMBER 2016 Johan, Felix, Panos
> ISSUE 10  PEER PRODUCTION AND WORK. MAY 2017 Mathieu, Zack
> [unreleased:]
> ISSUE 11 CITY. OCT-NOV 2017. Panos, Penny, Nicholas
> ISSUE 12. INSTITUTIONALISATION OF SHOPS. APRIL-MAY 2018. Kat, Adrian

> [...]

<http://NeRDS.kozminski.edu.pl> prof. dr hab. Dariusz Jemielniak
kierownik katedry MINDS (Management in Networked and Digital Societies)
Akademia Leona Koźmińskiego
http://NeRDS.kozminski.edu.pl  <http://NeRDS.kozminski.edu.pl>

associate faculty w Berkman-Klein Center for Internet and Society,
Harvard University
*Ostatnie artykuły:*

   - Dariusz Jemielniak, Maciej Wilamowski (2017)  Cultural Diversity of
   Quality of Information on Wikipedias
   <http://crow.kozminski.edu.pl/papers/cultures%20of%20wikipedias.pdf>
*Journal
   of the Association for Information Science and Technology* 68:  10.
    2460–2470.
   - Dariusz Jemielniak (2016)  Wikimedia Movement Governance: The Limits
   of A-Hierarchical Organization
   <http://www.crow.kozminski.edu.pl/papers/wikimedia_governance.pdf> *Journal
   of Organizational Change Management *29:  3.  361-378.
   - Dariusz Jemielniak, Eduard Aibar (2016)  Bridging the Gap Between
   Wikipedia and Academia
   <http://www.crow.kozminski.edu.pl/papers/bridging.pdf> *Journal of the
   Association for Information Science and Technology* 67:  7.  1773-1776.
   - Dariusz Jemielniak (2016)  Breaking the Glass Ceiling on Wikipedia
   <http://www.crow.kozminski.edu.pl/papers/glass-ceiling.pdf> *Feminist
   Review *113:  1.  103-108.
   - Tadeusz Chełkowski, Peter Gloor, Dariusz Jemielniak (2016)  Inequalities
   in Open Source Software Development: Analysis of Contributor’s Commits in
   Apache Software Foundation Projects
   <http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article/asset?id=10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0152976.PDF>
   , *PLoS ONE* 11:  4.  e0152976.