[JoPP-Public] Fw: Your journal application to DOAJ: Journal of Peer Production

natacha natacha at lesoiseaux.io
Sun Sep 10 08:09:21 CEST 2017

On 09/09/2017 11:40 PM, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 09, 2017 at 10:34:48PM +0200, natacha wrote:
>> I mean, new ideas and research could be appropriated by larger
>> corporations that have way much more visibility than the more fragile
>> critical thinking networks.
> Yes. And a license will not stop them to do so. They've better lawyers
> and deeper pockets than any of us.

This is really not a good reason for letting everything go and not
position oneself in front of this reality (this is at the core of any
non-violent thinking which I advocate for).

> (Aside: I personally refuse to use
> expressions like "appropriation" for non-rival goods.)

Well this is most certainly a negation of actual context of emergence of
powerstructures. All along history collective forces have been
appropriated by different powers in place dismantling people's original
intention, lets give the recent example of the arab spring or many others.

> In the meanwhile, the license choice you're advocating for will limit
> other totally legitimate circulations of our research work, that I'd
> personally love to see happen ---
I do not advocate for the -nd licence, only mentioned the position of
gnu project, on intellectual work and said it was even more restrictive
than the one I referred to, but any license really is ok as long as it
demands citation of previous work.

n.