[JoPP-Public] Fw: Your journal application to DOAJ: Journal of Peer Production

Stefano Zacchiroli zack at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr
Sat Sep 9 23:40:05 CEST 2017

On Sat, Sep 09, 2017 at 10:34:48PM +0200, natacha wrote:
> I mean, new ideas and research could be appropriated by larger
> corporations that have way much more visibility than the more fragile
> critical thinking networks.

Yes. And a license will not stop them to do so. They've better lawyers
and deeper pockets than any of us. (Aside: I personally refuse to use
expressions like "appropriation" for non-rival goods.)

In the meanwhile, the license choice you're advocating for will limit
other totally legitimate circulations of our research work, that I'd
personally love to see happen --- e.g., print on demand services of
reformatted anthologies of scientific articles (derived work) in public
libraries that want to charge for the price of the paper and add a tiny
profit margin to make the service viable ("commercial" use).

Given this trade-off, I'd take a Free Culture license any day.
Your mileage my very, and that's totally fine.

Cheers.
--
Stefano Zacchiroli . zack at upsilon.cc . upsilon.cc/zack . . o . . . o . o
Computer Science Professor . CTO Software Heritage . . . . . o . . . o o