[JoPP-Public] Fw: Your journal application to DOAJ: Journal of Peer Production

Mathieu ONeil mathieu.oneil at anu.edu.au
Sat Aug 19 04:50:11 CEST 2017

Hi Zack, all

OK, now I remember why I always try to stay out of license discussions.. :-)

(FWIW: IMHO there is a big difference between massively multiple-authored WP and single or small-group authored research articles, but whatever.)

To sum up: one license (CC BY-NC-ND 2.0 AU) does not allow commercial use or derivatives (better for authors?), the other (CC BY 4.0) does (better for the Cause?)

What do others think?

cheers

Mathieu

KEY POINTS BELOW:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Angela argues for https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/au/

Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.0 Australia (CC BY-NC-ND 2.0 AU)

You are free to:
Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.

Under the following terms:
Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
Non-Commercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes.
NoDerivatives — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you may not distribute the modified material.
No additional restrictions — You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.

Zack argues for https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)

You are free to:
Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially.
This license is acceptable for Free Cultural Works.