[JoPP-Public] DOAJ: PDF and CC?

Stefano Zacchiroli zack at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr
Fri Oct 28 22:05:40 CEST 2016

On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 05:37:23PM +0200, maxigas wrote:
> See above -- I am very much against licencing content under "CC
> Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License", but I would
> be happy with CC0.

As observed elsewhere, we agree on this :)

Also, CC0 is the closest approximation of the current "licensing" of
JoPP content, that also works reasonably well world-wide (simply saying
"public domain" does not).

> > Finally there are some questions at the end about author ownership -
> > I assume we give all rights to authors? @Our legal experts (Angela,
> > Steve...): any thoughts on this?

Sorry, I overlooked this in my previous answer. I'm no lawyer, but I
deal with copyright licenses on a daily basis as part of my work with
the Open Source Initiative. Based on that, here are my answers to the
questions that Mathieu forwarded to the list:

> 52) Does the journal allow the author(s) to hold the copyright without restrictions?
> 54) Will the journal allow the author(s) to retain publishing rights without restrictions?

Based on the current practices of JoPP that I've observed thus far, the
answers to both of these is "yes".

Copyright applies to individual copies of works. JoPP requires authors
to convey to the journal articles under a specific license --- public
domain up to now (even if that's not strictly speaking a license), maybe
CC0 in the future --- but does not ask authors to sign any copyright
transfer or equivalent agreement.  Therefore authors retain the
copyright on the articles, and are free to do whatever else they want
with their own copies of them, including publishing them without
restriction.

I'm not sure we do so already, but it would be appropriate to have some
due diligence on the publishing process. It would be as simple as
requesting authors to explicitly agree (with a checkbox in the
submission form, mail message, whatever) to release the copy of the
paper they send to JoPP for final publication under CC0. Or, if they
send the article in some sort of archive, to ask authors to include the
CC0 dedication in there.

Hope this helps,
Cheers.
--
Stefano Zacchiroli . zack at upsilon.cc . upsilon.cc/zack . . o . . . o . o
Computer Science Professor . CTO Software Heritage . . . . . o . . . o o