[JoPP-Public] New board member: Peter Troxler

Mathieu ONeil mathieu.oneil at anu.edu.au
Sat Oct 17 06:27:02 CEST 2015

Hi all

Normally, in order for someone to join the Journal of Peer Production (JoPP) board, the following has to happen:

- A board member sponsors the candidate on this list;

- The candidate responds by briefly describing their research interests and how they intend to contribute to the journal;

- If a week elapses and no-one has objected, they are included on the board.

In the case of Peter Troxler, none of this applies, and he is from this moment officially a board member. There are two main reasons for this extraordinary and dramatic circumvention of customary processes:

1. Peter has been involved in the peer production space for years (see appendix A); he is the president of the International Fab Lab Association; he co-edited with maxigas JoPP#5 on "Shared machine shops"; and he is an active participant on this list.

2. Last week I approached Peter on behalf of the editorial team and asked him if, in addition to normal board duties, he would be able to help us with the CMS/website; he accepted.

So, welcome aboard Peter!

cheers

Mathieu

PS. I will post another message about the CMS shortly.

Appendix A

Whilst searching in my mailbox for "troxler" I came across a message posted by Stefan Merten to the English Oekonux list on 13 October 2010 about the Free Culture Research Conference which had been held at Berlin' Freie Universität a few days earlier. I am reposting the relevant passages below:

"One of the most interesting panels titled "New Forms of Production"

was right in the beginning of the conference. The utmost interesting

talk of Peter Troxler was titled `Commons-based Peer Production of

Physical Goods - Is There Room for a Hybrid Innovation Ecology?`_.

Peter reported results from three studies about FabLabs [#]_. I don't

remember the exact number but so far the number of FabLabs on this

planet seems to be still small - in any case much less than 100.

FabLabs in this sense are shops where there are these cool machines

often called fabbers or 3D-printers which materialize physical goods