[JoPP-Public] News and Issues

Paz Sastre pz.sastre at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 17:02:23 CET 2014

Hi Mathieu,

I don't know exactly what should I do to propose a new topic for the
journal, but after reading your mail I would like to send you an idea: a
new number about money, that is to say, about alternative currencies,
crytocurrencies, digital currencies... and the communities that grow around
them. I am very interested in this topic and although Geert Lovink and the
Institute of Network Cultures are working on it, I think is worthy enough
to deserve more different approaches and researches.

Also I would like to know more about the number on feminism from the p2p
perspective. Maybe I can collaborate in this specific topic.

Congratulation for a work well done!

Best Regards,
pz

>  Hi everyone​
>

>  As maxigas has been so active in developing JoPP the editorial team (Francesca, Johan,
> Maurizio, Nate, Sara and me) decided to "make it official"
> by inviting him to join us, he accepted, and we are delighted to have him.
>

>  Since the release of JoPP#5, a number of new people have subscribed to
> this list. We don't have any rules about this apart from (I guess)
> welcoming you, inviting you to join in discussions, and - if you feel like
> it - introducing yourselves and your interests? Or: should the membership
> list be made public? I don't know.
>

>  Finally, looking ahead:
>
> -issue#5 on shared machine shops was just released (for consistency's
> sake, I propose to backdate it to July 2014)
>
> -issue#6 on law to be released in Dec/jan
>
> -special issue on #FLOK to be released in Feb (numbered or not?)
>
> -issue on #feminism to be released in July
>

>  First question: is this all a bit much - should we space things out a
> bit? Delay FLOK maybe?
>

>  Second question: what comes after?
>

>  It was mentioned that #feminism may be split in two. Whether that
> happens or not, we need to think about future issues.
>

>  Johan and others have agreed to work on an "alternative internet" issue,
> inspired by this event:
>
> http://www.iscc.cnrs.fr/spip.php?article1912
>
> Thanks to them for taking this on. More info soon.
>

>  We need further issues. We have never addressed privacy / surveillance.
> I contacted someone in that space, but she declined, too busy. Is anyone
> out there interested in putting a team together around that?
>

>  if any other ideas are forthcoming, and you want to explore them
> privately as a first step: please email an editorial team member directly.
> Or post straight here. We need to plan things well in advance. It really is
> very open, and an opportunity to explore ideas in any direction, with
> like-minded people, whilst having fun, so don't be shy!
>

>  On behalf of the editorial team,
>

>  cheers,
>

>  Mathieu

"A traveller, who has lost his way, should not ask, where am I? what he
really wants to know is, where are the other places"
Whitehead