[JoPP-Public] Re : Re: Improving peer review for JoPP

Toni Prug toni.prug at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 19:56:12 CEST 2012

publishing all submitted pieces in a separate queue would be a bold
move, i wish all journals did that. Who wouldn't want to see what the
"highest ranked" journals in each field reject? Or, how they "guide"
authors to change pieces? Such openness would make political ideology of
journals a lot more visible. It would open up information to try to hold
journals more accountable in the long run, and more scientific in a
positive sense. As it stands, ideological rejection of "unsuitable"
texts, as well as submissions of terrible quality by authors, happens a
lot over the place.

This is what was argued in my piece Open Process Publishing couple of
years ago:

a) increase reputation cost by making every single submissions visible
in a separate, clearly marked, queue.

"In the current system, with externally invisible submissions, the
reputation cost of submission for authors it too low: they can submit
any rubbish without adjusting it to the journal’s guidelines. The only
people who see these disrespectful acts (towards work of editors,
especially volunteer work), and who associate it with author’s name, are
editors. If submissions were openly visible, the cost of submitting
random, unadjusted, low quality, undeveloped papers would be far higher,
since such disrespectful behaviour would be publicly linked to the author."

Here's what a journal that already does that said:

"public peer review and interactive discussion deter authors from
submitting low-quality manuscripts, and thus relieve editors and
reviewers from spending too much time on deficient submissions. [..] The
deterrent is particularly important, because reviewing capacities are
the most limited resource in the publication process." (Koop 2006)

A full open process model would make:

b) all subsequent comments, reviews, versions, should be open too

"To summarise, open-process academic publishing would amount to the
following being open: initial submission, editorial collective and
individual comments, peer reviews, further peer comments, author
comments back to reviewers, all the subsequent drafts, and the final
published or rejected text."

I support any proposals that go a step closer to any of the above.

Of course, there are valid arguments for a an in-between model too, for
partial openness of some of the publishing steps.

http://hackthestate.org/2009/12/16/open-process-academic-publishing-v1-2/