[JoPP-Public] some bugs still present in inaugural issue

Mathieu ONeil mathieu.oneil at anu.edu.au
Fri Jul 20 18:47:08 CEST 2012

Hi George, all

I have fixed the broken link to the reviews, apologies that no-one else fixed it right away (I personally could not for reasons explained below). Re. formatting issues in the PDF, that is more complex; we will look into it and try to correct asap. Sorry about that also.

I agree that the release process could have been smoother. There are some human and technical reasons. Briefly:

- I was in hospital for surgery (if anyone wants gory details mail in private only - thx) all day Wednesday - Thursday - Friday morning which is why I am only responding now.

- We sort of rushed things a little as we wanted to release fast as there is a CFP for the FLOSS issue by Maurizio and Vincenzo which is normally due at the end of this month, though of course we had delays as problems arose etc, and we wanted to release the issues before the CFP.

- We are indeed releasing two issues at once (though Johan and Alessandro have decided to postpone the issue 2 official release until next Monday) which meant double amount of work fixing up a lot of very dirty code resulting from folks pasting bad docs into html, etc

- We have an editors-only list which has been madly active these last few weeks; I guess there has to be a balance between spamming this general list with tech stuff that a lot of people don't care too much about and bringing in people who do want to help. I think a solution would be to cc authors or volunteers to the editors-list in the lead-up up to a release. We should have called in on this list to have a look at 1, but got "locked in" to the other list I guess. Toni P. did spontaneously alert me to couple of broken links.

- Finally there is a technical issue. With the CMS we are using (Wordpress) we could not figure out a way to connect all the pages together in the right way without the site being completely "public". So you are sort of forced to have a half-finished site up in order to make sure there are no broken links etc. Something we will have to fix for the next iterations.

- Finally, since you bring up the release announcement (indirectly saying it was not posted here), to be clear: since I was out of action Maurizio and Johan volunteered to look after publicity. Maurizio spammed some lists about the release (as far as I know: anthrodesign, medianthro, stsgrad , air-l, icts&society); Johan was apparently unable to do the ones he was in charge of as he was travelling; and I spammed three today (ACS, CITASA, Historical Materialism).

cheers

Mathieu

ps. As a result of the issue 1 announcement release quite a few new people have joined this list: welcome! Sometimes it is quiet; sometimes it is not. Join in if you want to, maybe say a few words about who you are and what brought you here, if you feel like it.

On 07/18/12, george dafermos  <georgedafermos at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> i just received an email via the STSGRAD mailing list in which
> Maurizio announces the inaugural issue of the journal. That's great
> news! Many kudos to all the people who worked to make this happen and
> especially Matthieu for coordinating the whole thing.
>
> on the flip side, it'd have been useful if, prior to announcing the
> issue, we had done a little testing to make sure there are no bugs
> left. Shortly after I received Maurizio's message, I went to the
> peerproduction website to check out my paper. and i found several
> glitches:
>
> -the (anonymous or eponymous) reviewers' feedback is missing from the
> review page
>
> And the PDF file has some flaws:
> -fig. 2.3 in p.3 is cropped in half and therefore only half of it is visible
> -the text alignment is justified till fig. 1 (in p.2) and then it
> becomes aligned to the left.
>
> I understand that the development of the peerproduction.net website
> has been a work in progress and the website is constantly enriched
> with more content, but in the future i think we should devote at least
> a week to testing the website before going live on the web.
>
> Best,
> g.

****
Dr Mathieu O'Neil
Adjunct Research Fellow
Australian Demographic and Social Research Institute
College of Arts and Social Science
The Australian National University
email: mathieu.oneil[at]anu.edu.au
web: http://adsri.anu.edu.au/people/visitors/mathieu.php