[JoPP-Public] JoPP / Statistical Studies of Peer Production [was: Re: Publicity

Mathieu ONeil mathieu.oneil at anu.edu.au
Mon Aug 20 16:22:27 CEST 2012

On 08/20/12, Christian Siefkes  <christian at siefkes.net> wrote:
> Hi Mathieu, all,
>
> On 08/20/2012 03:26 PM, Mathieu ONeil wrote:
> > First your project sounds v. interesting, maybe we could feature an
> > interview or a self-description of your background, goals, results, hopes
> > etc in a future issue of JoPP?
> >
> > Second it appears that because this fellow S. Murphey [who made the video on
> > 3D printing mentioned below] confused your project Statistical Studies of
> > Peer Production [http://surveys.peerproduction.net] with our own Journal of
> > Peer Production [http://peerproduction.net] we are now being credited with
> > your work.
> >
> > See this piece as a recent ex. but its all over the web.
> > http://boingboing.net/2012/08/15/visualzing-3d-printing-statist.html
> >
> > I think one of us should ask S. Murphey to correct his error.
>
> well, since surveys.peerproduction.net is a subdomain of peerproduction.net,
> that's a reasonably enough conclusion (I thought the same, though I was a
> bit surprised that nobody had mentioned the survey here). If the survey is
> NOT a subproject of the journal, how did it end up on the journal's domain??
>
> Best regards
> 	Christian

Hi Christian, all

OK, I'll follow you and post at the end - hopefully others will too ;-)

It hurts my head a little to think about that: is surveys.peerproduction.net a subdomain of peerproduction.net or does it work on its own? When was surveys.peerproduction.net created? Can we do a whois or whatever to find out? Or should we just ask the maintainer? Jarkko?

@Franco: what do you think?

cheers
Mathieu