[Jesus-post] popgun's magazine; The dinner carried

Esnard ricebird at demaranter.nl
Fri Aug 28 15:04:27 CEST 2009

Some serviceable stuff That would have matched his brownly rugged face
71 The elder, although such he hardly seemed (Care makes so little of
some five short years), Had a clear, honest face, whose rough-hewn
strength Was mildened by the scholar's wiser heart To sober courage,
such as best befits The unsullied temper of a well-taught mind, Yet so
remained that one could plainly guess The hushed volcano smouldering
underneath. He spoke: the other, hearing, kept his gaze 80 Still fixed,
as on some problem in the sky. 'O CROMWELL we are fallen on evil times!
There was a day when England had a wide room For honest men as well as
foolish kings: But now the uneasy stomach of the time Turns squeamish at
them both. Therefore let us Seek out that savage clime, where men as yet
Are free: there sleeps the vessel on the tide, Her languid canvas
drooping for the wind; Give us but that, and what need we to fear 90
This Order of the Council? The free waves Will not say No to please a
wayward king, Nor will the winds turn traitors at his beck: All things
are fitly cared for, and the Lord Will watch us kindly o'er the exodus
Of us his servants now, as in old time. We have no cloud or fire, and
haply we May not pass dry-shod through the ocean-stream; But, saved or
lost, all things are in His hand.' So spake he, and meantime the other
stood 100 With wide gray eyes still reading th