[Jesus-post] er missed a Christma

Psomiades peasecod at imxpostal.fr
Fri Aug 21 09:35:30 CEST 2009

Om a gay and crowded portico above her, a young and beautiful girl in a
white dress, whom I had been observing for some time as the life of a
gay party, as she sat in her loveliness, a queen on her throne with her
courtiers around her, suddenly arose and ran down into the street. There
was a short colloquy. The young beauty was offering something which the
old lady was declining; but it ended in the young girl leading the older
woman gently up on to her veranda and giving her the chair of state. She
was hardly seated when the old soldiers began to pass. As the last
mounted veterans came by, I remembered that I had not seen "No. 4"; but
as I looked up, he was just coming along. In his hand, with staff
resting on his toe, he carried an old standard so torn and tattered and
stained that it was scarcely recognizable as a flag. I did not for a
moment take in that it was he, for he was not in the gray jacket which I
had expected to see. He was busy looking down at the throng on the
sidewalk, apparently searching for some one whom he expected to find
there. He was in some perplexity, and pulled in his horse, which began
to rear. Suddenly the applause from the portico above arrested his
attention, and he looked toward it and bowed. As he did so his eye
caught that of the old lady seated there. His face lighted up, and,
wheeling his prancing horse half around, he dipped the tattered
standard, and gave the royal salute as though saluting a queen. The old
lady pressed her wrinkled hand over the knot of faded ribbon on he