How can I set text width and formatting a paragraph?

Hector A. Abreu habreu71 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 18:26:31 CEST 2016

Hi,

The following is what I'm doing in Vim. I would like to do the same in
Emacs Evil-mode. I am working in Org-mode:

1) In Vim I set the number of columns that I want for a specific paragraph
that I will highlight to re-format:

:set tw=72

PROBLEM: In Emacs Evil-mode I get this message: State tw=72 cannot be set
as initial Evil state

2) In Vim I highlight the paragraph with Visual mode (V and then j or k).
Works ok in Emacs Evil-mode.

3) In Vim I type gq to put all the lines of the paragraph within the limits
set on step 1. In Emacs Evil-mode apparently is putting the lines within
the limits of step 1, but I am not sure since step 1 showed the message
mentioned on step 1 for Emacs Evil-mode.

4) In Vim I type :runtime macros/justify.vim in order to be able to
highlight the paragraph, and with _j put all the lines of the highlightd to
end at the exact column number set on step 1, so the paragraph can look
straight and aligned in the right margin. Nothing of this will work in
Emacs Evil-mode, I guess because the Vim macros will not work.

I would like to be able to do this in Emacs Evil-mode. I am using Emacs 24
on Debian Jessie (Raspbian Jessie Lite) on a Raspberry Pi, and I'm using
Emacs Org-mode. I work via SSH. Below is my .emacs in case it provides any
useful info for you to help me. Thank you in advance for any hint or info.
Hector.

~/.emacs

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/evil")
(setq evil-want-C-i-jump nil)
(require 'evil)
(evil-mode 1)
(global-visual-line-mode 1)
(custom-set-variables
 ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
 '(org-agenda-files nil))
(custom-set-faces
 ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
 )