Programmatically call evil-find-char

Sylvain Benner sylvain.benner at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 07:04:59 CET 2015

Hi,

I'm trying to call interactively from the code the function
`evil-find-char` while in visual state like this:

    (call-interactively 'evil-find-char)

A simplistic use case will be the following simple wrapper function mapped
on `f` key:

   (defun my-wrapper () (interactive) (call-interactively 'evil-find-char))

The observed behavior is that when I press on `f` the point is put of the
next character with no selection, then when I press a second key then the
selection does not include the second character (like if I pressed `t` in
regular Vim).

For the complete story, I'm replacing the map of `evil-find-char` on `f` in
order to be able to `escape` to normal state by quickly pressing `fd`. This
is currently implemented in package `evil-escape` with key-chord which I
want to drop because of several edge cases with Evil.
This `fd` as `ESC` is mainly used in spacemacs which is an Evil focused
Emacs kit.

Cheers,
-syl20bnr-