cannot bind evil-next-visual-line for selection mode

Frank Fischer frank-fischer at shadow-soft.de
Wed Jan 14 22:35:09 CET 2015

Am 13.01.2015 um 09:57 schrieb Alan Schmitt:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to configure evil to use `evil-next-visual-line' by default
> when I hit the 's' key. It works well in normal mode, but I cannot get
> it to work in visual mode.
>
> This is what I have in my configuration:
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> (define-key evil-motion-state-map "s" 'evil-next-visual-line)
> (define-key evil-normal-state-map "s" 'evil-next-visual-line)
> #+end_src
>
> To reproduce, take a file with a long line, enter visual-line-mode, go
> into visual mode and hit 's': the selection extends to the next line
> instead of the next visual line.

The selection has nothing to do with the motion. The cursor will move to
the next visual line, but visual line mode *always* works on real lines,
not visual lines. That's why the selection always extends to real lines.
Dealing with selection of visual lines is not easy and there are many
things to consider, and nobody has ever implemented this stuff, sorry.