Different behavior between g* and *

Frank Fischer frank-fischer at shadow-soft.de
Thu Feb 20 21:51:48 CET 2014

Am 20.02.2014 12:03, schrieb Sanel Zukan:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed there is difference between '*' and 'g*', especially when
> modes are involved. For example, in c-mode when I hit '*' above some
> variable like 'sample_variable', only 'sample' gets highlighted and
> searched.
>
> However, with 'g*' 'sample_variable' is correctly highlighted.Similar
> behavior is in lisp-like modes and cases like 'sample-variable'.
>
> Is this expected behavior? Just checked vim behavior, and in
> both cases full variable name is highlighted and searched.

Interestingly in my tests it is the other way around, * selecting the
whole symbol and g* selecting one part of the word---but only
`evil-symbol-word-search` is non-nil. This difference is certainly not
expected behaviour (so it's a bug).

I'm currently working on some larger modifications in Evil's internal
motion stuff. One thing that will (probably) be implemented is the
possibility to make 'word' motions work on Emacs 'symbols' rather than
Emacs 'words', which is usually closer to Vim.

Best regards,
Frank